Silly Cone Filters

beyond1000
Advanced Member

Post by beyond1000 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:13 am

Hey Ice Man

Thanks for the advice as always. I will stick to the 18x and probably stop after I get it. As you know my system is a home theatre. I will be upgrading one or two components next to finish it off. One of which is a Cambridge 751 Blu-ray player and another is to eventually ditch my AVR for probably a Marantz pre-pro. I would love with a passion for Blue Circle to have gotten into home cinema as well and offer a pre/pro, or even a Blu-ray player. If that happened I would go BC over Cambridge. Same as pre/pro and even (heresy alert here.....multichannel amp). My multichannel is about as good as it really gets in such an amp for home theatre without somebody like BC putting their engineering behind one. That would run in the 5 figure costs if it would truly be engineered to BC's standards.

I saw Lord of the Rings (Fellowship) the other day and the Thingee and 12x transformed the soundstage and separation of the individual sounds to a transparent and uncompressed level I thought I would never hear. This of course is thanks to YOU for suggesting to remove the amp from the wall and to plug it into the Thingee/12x assembly. THAT DID THE TRICK!

It seems amps benefit huge from BC filtration.
Anyhow Don informed me that the 18x will be here in 2 to 3 weeks. He asked Gilbert. I guess it takes time to build one and the BC employees are busy fulfilling other orders.

No problem, I can wait. I will let the 18x break in for a week or so after I plug it in to the subwoofer spare outlet and let you guys know what performance increases I get after watching LOTR Two Towers.

8)

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:08 am

You are welcome. You will have quite a bit of filtering with the 18X, and I completely agree with your thoughts on pausing after it. With either a 12X or 18X on your sub, your system will really surprise you. Looking foward to hearing your impressions.

IM

beyond1000
Advanced Member

Post by beyond1000 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:52 am

One question Ice Man.

My 18x will be arriving sometime next week...either Monday or Tuesday. As we know it has to break in before top performance can be experienced. What is the best way to break it in? Just leave it plugged into the live outlet for about a week or so and then do some critical listening?

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Beyond1000,

There is no question in my mind that you will hear an immediate improvement in your system as soon as you plug it in. You will have a huge smile on your face.

Plug your 18X into your outlet with the sub. The bass should be a lot deeper and tighter. Then, switch it with your 12X: put the the 18X in your Thingee, and your 12X on the outlet with the sub. You'll know which sounds better.

Leave it that way for a couple of weeks. Then, run the above test again. It will only get better, but once your add the 18X into your system, everything will sound a lot better.

Congrats, again. I am excited for you. Enjoy your new system.

Best,
IM

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Beyond1000,

If you cycle the power to the filter, it will help accelerate the burn-in process. I put my pipes on a timer and set it so that it would power them on and off at 1 hour intervals for a week. Gilbert says the plates get formed faster this way.

Don't be too hasty to form an opinion until the pipes have had sufficient burn-in. I was disappointed at first but after a week or so, they begin to show what they can do for your system.

Enjoy.

beyond1000
Advanced Member

Post by beyond1000 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:27 am

Thanks Ice Man and nikki for your advice. This gives me an understanding of ways to break the 18x in since.....

The Beast arrived!

Don gave me a nice surprising telephone call on Sunday in that the 18x arrived. Since I had the day off and traffic is light on Sundays I ventured from my place to the otherside of the Greater Vancouver metro area to Don's place to get my blessed new arrival.

I didn't have time to get behind the sub and plug it in so I temporarily have it plugged in on an outlet that is controlled by a light switch. Why install a timer when you can just get up for some exercise every our and a trip to the fridge while your at it. On the way back and forth from the fridge I just have to turn the switch on and off. Probably after a day or two of this I will be tired from excessive weight gain and just plug in the monster on the sub's free outlet and then hear the clean performance. I will definitely keep you guys posted on the results.

I like to thank Gilbert for developing products like the Sillycone Filters which make a substantial difference to the performance of my system and others' systems for that matter. Fantastic company.

Also many thanks to Don for inviting me downstairs to his audio room. Don played for me 6-7 awesome recordings on his system powered by BC audio gear featuring the transparently divine BC204 power amplifier. This time I got a chance to hear the system on a larger pair of Harbeth speakers.
BC audio is absolutely transparent with tremendous separation in vocals and instruments. No one instrument was overpowered or drowned by another or others. Don's system is a true example of how the term "Ultra Hi-Fidelity" should be defined.

:) lotta fun, lotta fun

beyond1000
Advanced Member

Post by beyond1000 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:31 pm

Okay I gave the 18x over a month to break in. Not sure if it's fully broken in but I did play Lord of the Rings - Two Towers. As you said Ice Man, the subwoofer took on a new dimension in depth and smoothness. It seemed like all the speakers including the room became the subwoofer. Very happy with this unit - worth the money. :D

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:50 pm

Glad you are enjoying it.

Did you have a chance to swap the 18X and the 12X? That is placing the 18X on your BC Thingee and the 12X on the outlet with your sub.

Based on my personal experience, I would guess that both your audio and TV should look and sound better with the 18X on your BC Thingee. More specifically, connect your amp/receiver/integrated to the same duplex the 18X is connected to.

Of course, each system and room environment is unique, and I could be wrong.

Enjoy your new system.