Silly Cone Filters

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:19 pm

splityew wrote:Gilbert
I am using a PLC in a wall socket with two outlets one of which is free and I also have a free outlet on the PLC when everything is plugged in.
Does this mean that if I want to use a sillycone as well, all things being equal in theory the best place to plug it would be the empty outlet in the wall socket rather than the free outlet in the PLC?
Well, in this case based on what you said, adding a 6X or a 12X into the free outlet of the PLC Thingee would be better than plug the Sillycone filter into the wall. Because the PLC Thingee doesn't have a lot of filtering by itself compare to a BC6000. Add more filter at the "base" is better than sending those foot soldiers out in the field.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:21 pm

BlueKnight wrote:
Gilbert Y wrote: Every system is different. What I posted is just a rule of thumb. It is like playing defense on a battlefield.
So, how would you categorize my 6000BLS? Defense or offence?
With that crazy BC6000BLS, send those Sillycone filters out around the room. If you have more filters, send them up stair and down stair all over the house. Clean up your neighbour power line too. 8) :) :D

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:23 pm

nikki wrote:
Gilbert Y wrote:Nikki

What you are looking for is a +20 module with a regular ac plug. However, if you are using the +20 module by itself it is not going to be as effective as using a 18X filter by itself.

G
Gil But,
Are you saying that it is not possible to build a fully spec'd 6020 into a pipe? And it would be used outside of the castle :)
We can build a fully spec's BC6020 in a pipe. The outlet has to be in the same pipe as the BC6020 filters in order to be effective. Having a power cord dangle out from a pipe with BC6020 inside isn't going to perform as good as a 18X Sillycone Filter. They are design for what they do best.

eigenv1

Post by eigenv1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:27 am

Let me add that some of us have our 6000's (or 6020's) maxed out in terms of Wattage. Adding a +20 module to a maxed out 6000 is not an option. In that case, it is either another 6000 or an 18X or something along those lines (pun intended).
Gilbert Y wrote:
nikki wrote:

What you are looking for is a +20 module with a regular ac plug. However, if you are using the +20 module by itself it is not going to be as effective as using a 18X filter by itself.

G
Gil But,
Are you saying that it is not possible to build a fully spec'd 6020 into a pipe? And it would be used outside of the castle :)
We can build a fully spec's BC6020 in a pipe. The outlet has to be in the same pipe as the BC6020 filters in order to be effective. Having a power cord dangle out from a pipe with BC6020 inside isn't going to perform as good as a 18X Sillycone Filter. They are design for what they do best.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:19 pm

eigenv1 wrote:Let me add that some of us have our 6000's (or 6020's) maxed out in terms of Wattage. Adding a +20 module to a maxed out 6000 is not an option. In that case, it is either another 6000 or an 18X or something along those lines (pun intended).
Gilbert Y wrote:
nikki wrote:

G
Gil But,
eigenv1

I think you mean maxed out in term of outlet? You mean if a someone has used all the outlet of the BC6000, then add another BC6000 is the only option? If that the case, you are correct. However, 18X filter doesn't have outlet.

eigenv1

Post by eigenv1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:42 pm

3 Subwofers at 250 W each, 1 plasma at 1000 W, 1 controller 120 W, 1 amplifier 1250 W = 3120 W

Amp will need to go into a second circuit.
eigenv1

I think you mean maxed out in term of outlet? You mean if a someone has used all the outlet of the BC6000, then add another BC6000 is the only option? If that the case, you are correct. However, 18X filter doesn't have outlet.[/quote]

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:35 am

The 18x filters have been plugged in for over a week and I was surprised by the amount of change that these pipes go through during their break-in. I have to admit that I was naive and never actually anticipated any break-in period for these filters, even though I knew there are a lot of caps involved - stupid me. I still can't quite get my head around why break-in for these filters would have similar sonic changes as what I expect from active components, but it is what it is.

Some of my comments that I posted previously about the 6x were a little premature. The pipes that Gilbert had sent me were brand new - you could tell by the silicone fumes :-). Although I liked the refinement and ease that they instilled from the get go, I did find that I was missing some upper air and sparkle. My feelings about this subsided somewhat over the course of a couple of days, but I figured I was just becoming accustomed to their presentation ... but I was certainly more engaged (addicted) to what they were doing right and that's when I posted my thoughts on the forum and ordered the 18x filters.

So about 2 weeks ago, the 18x filters arrive at my home. I plugged them in and although it did all the things that I enjoyed about the 6x filter, the sound was too restricted and dead. All of a sudden, there was no energy, no sparkle and no engagement factor at all. Oh nooooo, I thought I had gone overboard with the filtering and now my system was over refined - dull. So I sent an email to Gilbert and he tells me to be patient - leave it plugged in, but don't listen to it for a while. Of course I couldn't do that :roll:, but over the course of a few days, the sound started to open up - phew! By the 6th day, the sparkle and energy had returned and the pipes are still continuing to improve. My original comments about the 6x may have implied a slight tonal shift, but that was totally unfounded. After sufficient break-in, these filters do not impart any sonic signature, other than greater purity, refinement, inner detail and better flow.

The 18x filter certainly takes more time to break-in then the 6x. The 18x is quite a bit better than 6x, but not by a factor of 3. The 6x filter is likely the sweet spot, but I would order the 18x without hesitation if I was to do it again. It does the same thing as the 6x, but more.Image

beyond1000
Advanced Member

Adding a sillycone to thingee with Nordost QV2

Post by beyond1000 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:48 am

Hi all

My first post here. I just bought a 6 outlet PLC Thingee for my home theatre and I must say I am most impressed on the clarity of sound and picture.

I have a Nordost QV2 harmonizer on the Thingee and one on the empty wall outlet where the Thingee is plugged into. Is that enough for maximum conditioning or will adding a 12x sillycone filter make additional difference to audio and video performance.

Thank you for your answers.

:D

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:41 am

Hello beyond1000,

Welcome to the BC forum.

I have spent quite a bit of my time and resources on BC filtering. I can tell you that if you add a Sillycone 12X or more, you will, without doubt, notice the difference of each incremental difference. For example, a Sillycone 18X will be noticeable better than a 12X, and it should be for the increased price. The next step up, in my humble opinion, and if you are willing to spend the money, would be the BC 6000si or some configuration of the BC60XX family line of filtering. I realise that we are now talking multiple times the price of a single 12X, but with both your stereo and HT hooked up, it will be a significant jump in the performance of both your systems. I have both my stereo and HT connected to a BC60XX. In short, yes, the more you add, the better everything will be.

BC presents incredible value at each price point. It's not a question if one will see the benefits of additional filtering, but how much does one want to spend? At Blue Circle, you will always get better performance the higher up you go. While that sounds logical, it is not always the case with other companies.

I would reach out to your local dealer to see if it might be possible for you to demo some of the products I mentioned above.

Good luck with your research, and let us know what you decide upon.

IM

Bluecirclerookie
Advanced Member

Post by Bluecirclerookie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:49 am

Am new here also..and i also will have a plc thingie..but in fx2 version on his advice.....gilbert is also making me a balanced amp/dac for my headphone..hope to get both incl. their usb cable at end of november.

but now my question..so u say if i put an extra sillycone 12x it would increase the soundquality a lot? The amp will only have 5-8 watts class-AB into 50ohm.and only drive an ortho-dynamic headphone...no speakers.
Thanks for ur answer...
Life without music is a life without beauty.

beyond1000
Advanced Member

Post by beyond1000 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:07 am

Ice Man wrote:Hello beyond1000,

Welcome to the BC forum.

I have spent quite a bit of my time and resources on BC filtering. I can tell you that if you add a Sillycone 12X or more, you will, without doubt, notice the difference of each incremental difference. For example, a Sillycone 18X will be noticeable better than a 12X, and it should be for the increased price. The next step up, in my humble opinion, and if you are willing to spend the money, would be the BC 6000si or some configuration of the BC60XX family line of filtering. I realise that we are now talking multiple times the price of a single 12X, but with both your stereo and HT hooked up, it will be a significant jump in the performance of both your systems. I have both my stereo and HT connected to a BC60XX. In short, yes, the more you add, the better everything will be.

BC presents incredible value at each price point. It's not a question if one will see the benefits of additional filtering, but how much does one want to spend? At Blue Circle, you will always get better performance the higher up you go. While that sounds logical, it is not always the case with other companies.

I would reach out to your local dealer to see if it might be possible for you to demo some of the products I mentioned above.

Good luck with your research, and let us know what you decide upon.

IM
Thank you Ice Man for you consice answer. That was very informative. Those 6000s sound great and I will eventually get one. For now just ordered a 12x to plug into my 6 outlet Thingee. Can't wait to see the difference as the Thingee made a noticeable difference itself. What ingenious products I just discovered in Blue Circle.

Thanks again friend. :)

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Beyond1000,

You're very welcome. You will not be disappointed with the 12X. My two cents: plug the 12X directly into your Thingee.

Furthermore, I would plug your most important pieces as close to the 12X as possible. I put my most important pieces as close to the filter as possible.

For example: I have noticed, in my system, that the amplifier benefits the most, relative to other audio components, to increased filtering. Therefore, I would plug your amplifier/integrated/receiver in the outlet right next to the 12X. You mentioned your HT was conneted to the Thingee. Try putting the TV plug on the other outlet right next to the 12X. This would give your TV maximum filtering exposure. Please note, though, while I am sure the entire Thingee will be thoroughly filtered by the 12X, it is my experience to place the component one wants to receive the highest filtering right next to it. Therefore, if your sound system is more important than your TV, then put either your dac/cd player or preamp next to the 12X, with the amp flanking on the other side.

Of course, each room and system is unique. You can try my suggestions, but I would not be surprised, one bit, if something else works better for you.

Bluecirclerookie,

While I do have a BC headphone amp, I do not have the experience to comment, at this time. There are many on the forum who regularly use their BC headphone amp and have BC power line filters who can give you a better answer.

My two cents is that more filtering should make the overall system sound better-- regardless if one just uses headphones, RFI is still present in the audio system. Whether it's noticeable with just headphones, I am unsure of-- simply haven't played with that configuration. I hope others with more experience can respond.

Bluecirclerookie
Advanced Member

Post by Bluecirclerookie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks for ur honest reply iceman..i appreciate it...lets hope of the the other bc owners will reply also.

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Bluecirclerookie,

I can help you with a partial answer:

I removed my entire BC power conditioning from my system and connected it to a standard 6 outlet strip cord going straight into the wall. With my filtering compared to no filtering, I can definitively tell you that there is a good deal of improvement using headphones. However, to my ears, it is not nearly as significant as the improvement coming from my speakers. As you would expect from BC power conditioning, the sound from the headphones became clearer and more focused due to the background becoming much darker.

Only you will be able to determine if purchasing a 12X Sillycone presents a good value in your particular system. However, if I may make one suggestion: ask Gilbert if it is better for you to add a 12X or instead, putting that money into improving your amp/dac. I wouldn't be surprised if he said the latter. If on the other hand he suggests a 12X, see if he would recommend putting the 12X into your FX2, there by saving you the use of one extra outlet. Also, the combined filtering should give you better preformance than if two separate pieces .

Bluecirclerookie
Advanced Member

Post by Bluecirclerookie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks again ice man..i will contact gilbert about it...