Looking to upgrade

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:38 pm

Listened to the Verity Audio Rienzi's today and ....just wasn't my cup o' tea.Actually I was a bit insulted with their set-up.The speakers were hooked up to Ayre gear,which didn't sound bad but wasn't even close to what I'm used to.The salesperson even asked what I have and tried to compliment my system.They have Nagra and Audio Research gear and they weren't ready to go that route.They substituted the Rienzi's with the Parsifals and that made a huge difference.The Rienzi's at $10G's...don't think so...The Parsifals....they are something special and I could listen to them all day long.At what cost...well,that's the $20,000 question :?:

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:07 pm

I somehow can't imagine the Rienzi sounding very sweet on the Ayre stuff either, and yes.. I can imagine the Parsifal doing it's "thing" on the Ayre. I can tell you that the Parsifal does NOT do it's "thing" on the BC stuff.. so, save your $20k for something else.

What exactly was the Rienzi "doing" that was objectionable?.. I'm thinking it was rather flat and characterless. :?

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:49 pm

I was at Ovation one day listening to some system with an Ayre preamplifier. I was somewhat familiar with the rest of the gear and suspected the Ayre was responsible for the dry sound I was hearing. We swapped a McIntosh tube preamp for the Ayre and the sound improved dramatically. That's about all the experience I have with Ayre, not a good start. :P

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:15 pm

Double D wrote:
What exactly was the Rienzi "doing" that was objectionable?.. I'm thinking it was rather flat and characterless. :?
You pretty much summed it up there.I'll also add that the lower bass notes were bloated and boomy.The room was rather small,about 8'x10' and they were placed along the long wall about 5' to 6' apart and maybe a foot out from the back of the speaker (woofer facing the wall).They were trying the equilateral set-up but it just wasn't working.I wasn't halfway into the first song and went WTF :shock: !
....and thanks for the heads-up Double D... 8)
Last edited by Ha Boi Egg on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:12 pm

bjh wrote:I was at Ovation one day listening to some system with an Ayre preamplifier. I was somewhat familiar with the rest of the gear and suspected the Ayre was responsible for the dry sound I was hearing. We swapped a McIntosh tube preamp for the Ayre and the sound improved dramatically. That's about all the experience I have with Ayre, not a good start. :P
They were using 7 Series gear with a V-5xe amp.Also,they had the integrated as the pre-amp.BIS Cables throughout.
...and the beat goes on... 8)

Totemman
Advanced Member

Mani -2

Post by Totemman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:41 pm

:D Monsieur dur bouilli oeufs,
When is the last time you tightened the screws on your Mani-2 speakers? I still bi-wire mine with Cardas Golden reference but I find that the screws both front and back need to be tightened every few months. It does effect the sound.
I will try using jumper cables to see what if any effect that has on sound.
I looked at your wonderful system but could not see a preamplifier. What preamplifier are you using? A Blue Circle preamplifier can really help any system dance.

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Re: Mani -2

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Totemman wrote::D Monsieur dur bouilli oeufs,
When is the last time you tightened the screws on your Mani-2 speakers? I still bi-wire mine with Cardas Golden reference but I find that the screws both front and back need to be tightened every few months. It does effect the sound.
I will try using jumper cables to see what if any effect that has on sound.
I looked at your wonderful system but could not see a preamplifier. What preamplifier are you using? A Blue Circle preamplifier can really help any system dance.
l'Homme de Totem, :wink:
Thank-you.There is a "pre-amp section" built into the BC501ob for volume control.Long story short...I have tried several ways of connecting the Mani-2's and thought there was an improvement each time,until I did some extended listening(with friends) and to our ears heard an "aggressiveness" in the highs.Single wire with jumpers was an ear opening experience.Having tried different speakers recently has also been an interesting experiment in cabling and system matching.Such is the nature of this wonderful hobby.Also,I do tighten the screws on the Mani-2's.The only thing loose is your french! :wink: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Ha Boi Egg on Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:00 pm

Aye les gars, vous allez me faire craquer avec votre français...!

Totemman
Advanced Member

Look Ma no visible preamplifier

Post by Totemman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Gilbert est merveilleux. Dac au préamplificateur sans câbles d'interconnexion. Incroyable! You have found a way around the cable conundrum.

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:30 pm

BlueKnight wrote:Aye les gars, vous allez me faire craquer avec votre français...!

"Everybody wants to get into the act!" :lol:

wstagner
Dealer

Post by wstagner » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:36 am

No, you wer rite....more than 1 wife, more than 1 GF! BUTT, GF's are "cheaper" than wifes. :wink:
TLP Audio<br>http://www.classicpumps.com/tlpmain.htm<br>Illinois Authorized Blue Circle Dealer

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Now playing and residing in the see dump... :D
....you could say,"I got my second wind!" 8) :arrow:

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:08 pm

C L A S S Y... !!!

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:31 pm