Tubes

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Hey Double D you might want to talk to G about the possibility of installing a "standby" function (with switch) to preserve the tubes but otherwise keep the big power supply powered. You'd probably still have a warm-up penalty but likely nothing extreme (like you have now). ... just a thought.

BTW ... all this talk about those Genalex tubes is making me more than a little curious, especially as my ears are telling me it's probably time for new tubes in my BC3000-II ... I also run 24/7 but I'm starting to question that, e.g. I don't for my phono stage (which I use almost every listening session), but then again it has a grand total of 10 9-pin tubes! ... it does have a standby mode however.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:38 am

I have always cleaned my tube pins with Deoxit, but never the sockets. I tried Jim's suggestion of using those mini tooth brushes and they work like a charm. The tubes are very very quiet at the moment - knock on wood.

http://www.gumbrand.com/interdental-bru ... ide/872rn/

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:01 pm

stew wrote:
Double D wrote:One thing you might discuss with Gilbert is the option of having your 208's "NST'd" .. I really haven't looked back since having my 206 done, and that's one less quad of tubes to worry about. Although, the 208 is just so f'n sweet with the bottles in it, I'm not sure what G would have to say about the impact of doing that surgery to them.
Hey Double D,

Can you please describe what differences you found when you have your amps NST'd?

Thanks, Stew
Hmmm.. let's see, there was an overall sense of drive and timing that changed when it became 206-NST, I think it really helped the focus and pace of the unit.
The noise floor was probably the biggest change, it simply went black, and I think this is probably the biggest factor in having "issues" with tube noise from less than ideal Genalex's :roll:
I **may** have sacrificed some bloom and poise in loosing the tube input on the 206, but what I gained more than made up for the loss.
In many ways, the 206-NST reminds me of my first favorite BC solid state amp, the BC26 8) which I loved a LOT, however, the 206-NST builds on that units strengths, and delivers what it lacked in the areas of ultimate detail retrieval, and liquidity.

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Thu May 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Nothing, except a CCA tube, will beat a Telefunken or older Siemens E188CC.

In the same breath: I have recently seen some pretty decent Amperex Holland 7803s for sale under $200. I bought a pair. They can't match the two above- mentioned tubes, but they are pretty nice.

Telefunken 6DJ8s are also among the more desireable of these types. They have outstandingly good bass and everything else is very good-excellent.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:46 am

Jim McShane has a sale on Genalex GL 6922 for $29.95. I picked up a bunch myself.

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:24 am

nikki wrote:Jim McShane has a sale on Genalex GL 6922 for $29.95. I picked up a bunch myself.
Yeah I got some of those as well, very nice tube ...

Actually after I had moved and gotten the system in a larger room I discovered that Amperex 6922 USA tubes worked much better that the JAN 6922 I had been using. I thought long and hard on the 'why' and best I could come up with was that in the old room I was likely getting bass boundary reinforcement (speakers close to wall) and that the generally bass light JAN 6922 were helping to compensate (i.e. cutting back the bass).

Anyway I mention that because I found the Genalex GL 6922 to be very similar sounding the the Amperex USA tubes, maybe just a bit richer sounding but that's splitting hairs.

Overall a great tube at a reasonable price.

---

Just a note on usage ... I don't keep my preamp powered up, just turn it on before listening and turn it off afterward. I *don't* find there is any sonic penalty to this. Thought I'd mention this as some have reported a sonic penalty operating this way, but then my BC3000 II does not have the ginormous power supply that some other BC units feature. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:58 am

Now that I am more diligent about powering down the 208s when I am not listening, the GLs that were installed back in May are still running quietly. That's a far cry from the 4 months I used to get from these tubes!