Tubes

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi DD

It's too bad you haven't had much luck with the TubeStore. I tried a set of JJs on my 206 a few years ago and they went noisy after about a week. At least they were very good about giving me a refund without any questions. I always order matched pairs for peace of mind, but Gil But says that I'm wasting my money.

The EH has been fairly reliable, but I have had a couple go noisy on me after a few months. I did have a tube fail in a bad way and it scared the hell out of me. :shock: :cry: It could have done a lot more damage than it did.

The common consensus seems to be that the Genalex are built to very high standards ... I guess time will tell. I'll probably extend their lifespan longer than my usual 6 month cycle as they cost quite a bit more than the EH. I bet your 303 would be very revealing of their strengths.

stew
Advanced Member

Post by stew » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:03 pm

Having read through Nikki's post about the Genalex some weeks ago, I was intrigued and decided to conduct my own shoot-out between Genalex and my "reference" JJ Teslas. I have shared the detailed results on two audio blog postings, in case you care to read more:

Posting #1 - First Thoughts http://theaudiogardensf.blogspot.com/20 ... tesla.html

Posting #2 - Final Verdict http://theaudiogardensf.blogspot.com/20 ... rdict.html

It's been a few weeks since I originally looked at Nikki's review of the Genalex vs. EH tubes, and after having posted my final review just this morning, I re-visited his after having completely forgotten his comments. It was fun to discover that, as far as I can tell, Nikki may have had a similar impression of the Genalex as me! But, his audiophile preferences may be slightly different than mine. Given my preference for toe-tapping PRAT and bass nimbleness, I choose the JJ tubes over the Genalex. However, I agree that the Genalex have some excellent qualities that may appeal to those of a different, but no less valid, persuasion.

Thanks Nikki for stoking my interest - I had a fun time re-visiting tube rolling!

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:44 am

Hey Stew,

Nice write up ... thanks for sharing.

Are the JJ Gold the same as the regular JJ but with gold pins, or are they entirely different? I tried the regular JJs a few years ago on my 206, but they went noisy after a very short period. After trying 2 sets, I gave up on them, but I did like their sound.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 am

The more I read about tubes, the less I'm incline to go that route.

My last experiment looked like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... CpH19TkMqo

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:46 am

BlueKnight wrote:The more I read about tubes, the less I'm incline to go that route.

My last experiment looked like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... CpH19TkMqo

Trying to run another dedicated line, weren't you? :lol:

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:55 am

nikki wrote:
Trying to run another dedicated line, weren't you? :lol:
Eh eh eh..Now, picture me rolling tubes....Image

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:59 pm

This is what happened when I tried to divert a line for the 206.. yes.. it was MY fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIkNY5xj ... re=related

Disclaimer: I have no idea how electricity works, does what it does, or why it matters.. really.. I'm just trying to build a really big bug zapper.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:03 pm

Double D wrote:This is what happened when I tried to divert a line for the 206.. yes.. it was MY fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIkNY5xj ... re=related

Disclaimer: I have no idea how electricity works, does what it does, or why it matters.. really.. I'm just trying to build a really big bug zapper.
That would explain the brown-outs in New Brunswick. But the scary part is that it happens frequently in Southern Ontario!

Here's a pic of Al, testing a product for Europe. That would explain a lot...Image

stew
Advanced Member

Post by stew » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:19 pm

nikki wrote:Hey Stew,

Nice write up ... thanks for sharing.

Are the JJ Gold the same as the regular JJ but with gold pins, or are they entirely different? I tried the regular JJs a few years ago on my 206, but they went noisy after a very short period. After trying 2 sets, I gave up on them, but I did like their sound.
Hi nikki,

I don't actually know what is the difference between the gold and "regular" type of JJ tubes, and I haven't tried the regular variety. I have had great success with the gold variety from quality standpoint, being only on my second set of tubes in a timespan of a few years, I think.

-Stew

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:12 am

On the question of 6922 tubes. When operating points are critical, the new crop of 6922s can be probelematic. You'd think because so many are basically Russian, they would all follow the EH brand. But, A this is not the case and B they don't publish their operating curves. The right OP for an EH may be different for a New Sensor in the same preamp.

I know this is heresy. For some new production small signal tubes stick withthe brand tube that it comes with. This is not true, for example, of a 6SNGT, where the tube was basically the same exact thing electrically for everyone made in the US. There are many other tubes like that, too. I am just suspicious of these new production 6922.

facten

Tubes

Post by facten » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:45 pm

if you're interested here's another tube vendor from whom I've had good expereince with
http://www.tubemonger.com/6DJ8_6922_730 ... 08_s/9.htm

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Well, I finally bit the bullet and tried some of the Genalex 6922's for my 303 pre-amp (it was getting due for a re-tube anyhow). Well, holy mother of crap ! :shock: the Genalex's are just the best toob EVER ! Super silent backgrounds (freaky quiet actually !.. and this from someone that's fussy about this sort of thing.. :oops: )

Everything NIKKI said about them is true.. good call Nikki ! 8) They are warm, but not dull, they are dynamic, and absolute space champs. Detail is excellent.
The EH does indeed sound "glassy" and one dimensional in comparison.
Call me smitten, there's no going back now.

Totemman
Advanced Member

Post by Totemman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:45 am

Hey Double D , did you use the Genalex Golden Lion? I had been previously warned about tubes with golden pins. Is this warning false?

wstagner
Dealer

Post by wstagner » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:21 pm

If you could wave your magic wand over the Genelexs' to make them "better" what would you change (if anything)?

Just curious.

:?:
TLP Audio<br>http://www.classicpumps.com/tlpmain.htm<br>Illinois Authorized Blue Circle Dealer

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Totemman wrote:Hey Double D , did you use the Genalex Golden Lion? I had been previously warned about tubes with golden pins. Is this warning false?
Yup, they are the Golden Lion Gold pin versions.. and yes.. I've had trouble with EH Gold pins in the past, lousy plating coming off and corrupting the tube socket... ugh ! :roll:
So far, the Genalex seem fine, and as indicated the noise floor is shockingly low, probably the best I've experienced from a 6922 tube... short of one that was just plain DEAD ! hahaha.