Tubes

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:36 pm

wstagner wrote:If you could wave your magic wand over the Genelexs' to make them "better" what would you change (if anything)?

Just curious.

:?:
Good question Walt.. I'm really not sure ? Not enough experience with them under my belt yet, but if they have a fault, it might be perceived that they sound too restrained in the upper midrange, but realistically, they just seem so "clean" sounding in that area that perhaps it makes them sound perceptually less energetic in that range.

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:06 pm

So they sound glassy and boring ... I'll pass :P :P :P

But seriously tell me what you think in 6 months ... if you still have the same preamp. :wink:

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Hey DD
Glad to hear you are having similar experiences as mine. I can't think of any reason why I would ever want to go back to the EH either.

One of the GL tubes turned on a little noisy last week on the 208. It went away within 10 minutes and has been quiet ever since so I'm keeping an eye on it. Time to order a backup set.

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:02 pm

bjh wrote:
But seriously tell me what you think in 6 months ... if you still have the same preamp. :wink:
yeah you had your amp and pre-amp for sale on CAM,what gives?

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:11 am

bjh wrote:So they sound glassy and boring ... I'll pass :P :P :P

It was the EH's that I said sound "glassy" in comparison to the Genalex .. sheesh.

I've had the "same pre-amp" for about 4 years.. the only reason I might consider shifting is if G parachutes in the 109-cp2 and it really turns my head... sort of like one of those hot numbers you see on the street that starts the whole cycle of lust going.. laff

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:27 am

Ha Boi Egg wrote:
bjh wrote:
When I considered selling, I was, how shall we say, testing the waters.. I am also considering a lifestyle change... quite frankly, I am sick of living in Toronto, and I wanted to lighten the load to make the exodus much easier, not to mention freeing up a bit of cash. :?
So there you have the truth ... not that it was any of your business what my rationale was for selling. Sometimes shit happens in peoples lives, and it makes you stop to consider what matters, or what the road forward demands.

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:56 pm

Double D wrote:
Ha Boi Egg wrote:
bjh wrote:
When I considered selling, I was, how shall we say, testing the waters.. I am also considering a lifestyle change... quite frankly, I am sick of living in Toronto, and I wanted to lighten the load to make the exodus much easier, not to mention freeing up a bit of cash. :?
So there you have the truth ... not that it was any of your business what my rationale was for selling. Sometimes shit happens in peoples lives, and it makes you stop to consider what matters, or what the road forward demands.
Hope things work out for you....

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:41 am

Hey Double D I had not idea you had listed your gear ... I was just horseing around. 8)

easternize

Post by easternize » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:10 pm

should you balanced or matched tubes---what benefit does that do??
is it worth it?

stew
Advanced Member

Post by stew » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:15 pm

I have tried both balanced and matched before. Now I am using a set which is neither. As far as I can tell, there is no advantage to the spending more money on the former, at least in my setup (Bryston BDA-1, BC3000mk2, BC22 monoblocks, Salk HT1-TL speakers).

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:04 am

Gil But always tells me not to waste money on the matched tubes for the 200s, but I still get them for peace of mind. At least I know they have been tested.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:23 pm

I have been using Genalex Gold Lion 6922's for over a year now. Although I love their tonality, I have been a little discouraged with their reliability lately, so I asked Jim McShane (www.mcshanedesign.net) on his opinion of these tubes. I have been keeping my amps on 24x7 as I believed that this was the best way to extend the life of these tubes, but according to Jim, I have been needlessly shortening their lifespan. I figured his response may be of interest to others ...

Q> I have been using Genalex GL 6922 on my Blue Circle 208 monoblocks and
Q> really enjoy their tonality over the EH 6922 that comes standard on
Q> Gilbert's amps. Although I prefer the GL by a significant margin, their
Q> reliability has been disappointing in that I find they start going noisy
Q> after 4-6 months (amps running pretty much 24x7). I have gone through 2
Q> sets within a year and now I'm getting a little discouraged. How is your
Q> track record been with these tubes?

Jim> 4 months of continuous use is 121 days times
Jim> 24 hours. That's 3000 hours, which is pretty much normal life for a 6922
Jim> that runs significantly more current than say an ECC83.
Jim> Part of what determines a tube's life is how hard it is being worked. While
Jim> a lightly worked
Jim> ECC83 can go 5-10K hours the 6922 in your amps isn't likely to duplicate
Jim> that feat.
Jim>
Jim> 6 months is 4500 hours which is certainly a reasonable lifetime.
Jim>
Jim> So in a high powered amp that requires some drive from the "front end" tubes
Jim> I would not say the tubes have been unreliable at all. Some will live longer
Jim> than others, but with the amp on 24/7 four to six months is about what I'd
Jim> consider average. You'd likely extend that a bit more if you clean the
Jim> sockets and tube pins every couple months. Get some Caig DeOxit D-5 and some
Jim> of those tiny brushes they sell at drug stores to clean between your teeth.
Jim> Use them and the D-5 to clean the insides of the sockets.
Jim>
Jim> Unless you listen 24/7 you can extend the tube life in calendar months by
Jim> shutting off the amp when not in use. Being on all the time wears more than
Jim> just the 6922s! But that's up to you.
Jim>
Jim> My track record with the tubes - ONE field return in the whole time I've
Jim> handled them, and maybe 6 or so I rejected during my testing (most for
Jim> excess mismatch between the two sections).
Jim>
Jim> I'd be delighted for you to try the tubes I test, but I'm not sure you'll
Jim> get any longer life out of them. The EH may last a bit longer, they are
Jim> tremendously rugged - but I doubt it's worth giving up the Genalex tone for
Jim> a few more hours of tube service. And as rugged as the EH are, an Audible
Jim> Illusions pre can destroy them in under a month of 24/7.
Jim>
Jim> I have 6922 matched low noise tested Genalex in stock, $89.50 for a pair is
Jim> the price - I would recommend you use pairs as they TEND to wear more evenly
Jim> in some circuits according to some well known designer named Stu Hegeman (he
Jim> designed the Harman-Kardon Citation amps!). Since I don't have a diagram for
Jim> your amp I play it safe, and the cost difference is only $0.50 between two
Jim> unmatched and a matched/balanced low noise pair.

Q> I have been told by others that turning the amps on/off is actually
Q> harder on the tubes than leaving them on all the time.

Jim> Absolutely untrue!!
Jim>
Jim> I recommend that if you are not going to listen for over an hour you turn
Jim> the amp off. If you need to do some very critical listening turn the amp on
Jim> 30-45 minutes before your listening session. That will prolong you tube
Jim> (and other amp parts') life significantly - as well as reduce your electric
Jim> bill!

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Hmmm.. interesting comments from Mr.McShane.
Based on this, the lifespan I get from my Genalex 6922's is reasonable then .. ?? :? I would have expected closer to the one year mark out of them, even with the 7/24 uptime.
Nevertheless, I have come to the realization that after living with the Genalex version is that I can't be without them.. :oops: So, if this is what it takes to keep the 303 sounding like it does, then so be it. I've finally reconciled myself that this is just the cost of maintaining its ability to knock my sox off.
I did just recently try a set of standard Gold Pin EH 6922's and while they sounded very clean, exceptionally linear, and uber quiet, they just weren't doing it for me, not after exposure to the Genalex's fabulous tone and lucidity.
I just grabbed another quad from a local retailer, and this quad is absolutely KILLER ! so, I guess I've got at least a few months of bliss to look forward too. :wink:

I think the one thing that Mr.McShane is not aware of, is the sheer size of the power supply that Gilbert packs into some of his units. That to me kind of kills the option of powering up for a listening session, and then shutting down again. In the case of my 303-dwbb-loc-KQ it really doesn't start to sing until at least a 12 hour up time, and notably opens up after 24 hours.

One thing you might discuss with Gilbert is the option of having your 208's "NST'd" .. I really haven't looked back since having my 206 done, and that's one less quad of tubes to worry about. Although, the 208 is just so f'n sweet with the bottles in it, I'm not sure what G would have to say about the impact of doing that surgery to them.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:51 pm

Yeah I agree powering down is probably not a realistic option for your 303 ... time to stockpile some tubes :)

I'm going to start turning off my amps to see if it helps preserve the tubes. I'm like you, I can't go back to the EH.

I have to admit that the thought of sending the 208s in for surgery has crossed my mind a few times. I'm still not sure I want to mess with the amps and the thought of shipping them back is not very appealing.

stew
Advanced Member

Post by stew » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Double D wrote:One thing you might discuss with Gilbert is the option of having your 208's "NST'd" .. I really haven't looked back since having my 206 done, and that's one less quad of tubes to worry about. Although, the 208 is just so f'n sweet with the bottles in it, I'm not sure what G would have to say about the impact of doing that surgery to them.
Hey Double D,

Can you please describe what differences you found when you have your amps NST'd?

Thanks, Stew