Bi-wiring configurations

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:53 pm

What's the verdict on bi-wiring to a single amp? I currently have a pair of Analysis Plus Oval Nines in a bi-wire configuration - two cable runs shorted together at the amp end. I've noticed a brighter and more dynamic midbass presentation with two cables runs to separate binding posts. Can anybody else corroborate my observation? I suspect Gilbert already understands the benefits of separate binding posts . . . otherwise he wouldn't have wasted the money and parasitic losses associated with two redundant pairs of outputs on all of his high-end amps. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to coax a statement from the man on this subject. :P

Analysis Plus can re-work my bi-wire cables into two separate pairs of single-ended cables, but they want &#036;235 CAD and that sounds dumb. <_< I'd rather save that money for a Mk II component upgrade unless there's a significant advantage to going single-ended.

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:19 am

I use bi-wiring in my setup, and I do think the improvement is noticeable...I get a slightly more articulate midrange and better spacial cues in some recordings. My guess would be that the benefits of bi-wiring would be dependent on the speaker/amp involved...particularly the design and quality of the crossover. Whether it is more/less desireable to use two completely separate wires vs. "bi-wire cable", I can't say...I've only tried bi-wiring using two separate speaker cables running from BC's separate speaker terminals...
NY/NJ Metro Blue Circle Dealer
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com