SBH review by TAB

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

SBH review by TAB

Post by Gilbert Y » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:48 am

It has been almost a year since we have our last review somewhere out there. Here is the first of this year.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/b ... le_sbh.htm

Jo
Advanced Member

Post by Jo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:12 am

Hi, everybody,

Talking about headphones, does anyone here have experience listening to music this way?

I turned my system off 45 days ago, when I sold my apartment. As a part of a long change process I

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Jo

I have done some headphone listening for a while at night. It's a different experience than listen to speaker. I enjoy the very close and near experience compare to speaker listening. Most of the time I listen just loud enough to be very comfortable. Once in a while I turn it up for one song and turn it back down. I don't think it will hear your hearing as long as you are comfortable with the sound volume.

When it comes to work side of listening, I use headphone to listen for lot of low details of a piece of equipment. Not just music details, any kind of noise, type of hiss, etc. I know most people do use it that way but I do anyway. I think listening to headphone is a lot of fun. I think Chowder Head here use headphone. A few others do too but I can't remember their names.

G

Don Leman
Dealer

Post by Don Leman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:00 pm

I would like to add to what Gilbert has said. When we listen to music through speakers we're not only hearing the speaker but also what the room adds. These reflections distort the recording through reverberation and over emphasizing some parts of the audio spectrum, mainly in the bass region. The degree that these affect the sound you hear will be dependent on the room dimensions, speaker placement and the way your room is decorated. When you listen through headphones it takes the room out of the equation and all you are hearing is the ear speaker. So this could be quite different than what your used to, but if you have good headphones quite likely better.

Listening through headphones creates another unusual experience that many find disturbing. Some find it like the music is playing inside your head. Some find it more troubling than others and there are some headphone amps that have a feature which helps some.

If you are going to be listening for long periods of time headphone comfort will also be a factor to consider. Some are heavy and become fatigueing after a while.

Hope this helps a bit.
Don

Jo
Advanced Member

Post by Jo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:34 am

Hi, guys,

Yesterday I heard for the first a hi-fi (mid-fi?) headphone. It was a B&W P5 powered by a NAD T748 receiver. Source was a Denon DBP-1611 universal player. Audioquest cables. I don't like NAD and B&W. Audioquest seems so so. Denon is reliable.

Well, good experience. I liked it. I liked it a lot. Let's say that it's really very near. My impression is that with a very good headphone+amp set we listen a bit like as if we were at the soundstage, different than in front of the soundstage, as it happens with speakers.

I was afraid about headache, fatigue or feeling "isolated" from the world. But I did not feel even a signal of them.

Interesting how a small speaker can go down on the bass. On the other side, treble was missing. As for my experience, I think NAD cut the high frequencies.

Then, I'll have a headphone+amp set. I'm yet to know which ones.

According to what I've been reading, AKG K702 seems to be a very good value. To do something considerably better, it seems that I should have to go to the US$ 1,000,00+ price range, no? Other suggestions? I listen mostly to brazilian music and jazz.

Cheers,

Jo

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:11 am

Yes, I've been on both band wagons since 2007. I have the SBH and a SinglePower MPX3 tube amp. They really don't sound that different to me. Both are excellent. My favored headphones are the K-701s with both. I caught the Audeze flu and quickly recovered after finding out that the bass, mid-range and treble seemed like unconnected parts and did not give a holistic presentation, as do the 701s.

And, yes, the two experiences are very different for all of the reasons already stated. But that doesn't mean you have to prefer one over the other. They both have their place in my brain.

Besides, they also offer a way to retreat into music when household events don't allow you to sit in front of your speakers! Bed-side listening can become addictive.

Get a good source for bedside listening. I have a MacBook Pro driving a little Wavelength USB Proton Dac that feeds the amp(s). I'm sure one of Gilbert's smaller Dacs would work just as well.

Bluecirclerookie
Advanced Member

Post by Bluecirclerookie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:44 am

I went from speakers to headphones..this because i usually listen in complete darkness and at nights..but when my baby daughter was born i couldnt do that anymore..
I now own a planar-magnetic hifiman he500.. One if the best phones for the price and far above..and i now use a powerful tube headphone amp to drive it...and it just sounds right!! Soundstage goes far beyond the headphone...not closed-in like most of the dynamic headphones u have on the market...

People ...just try it... Gilbert is now making me my probably 'endgame' headphone amp based on the NSL and BC509 at this moment...

I dont think i ever go back to speakers..maybe only for watching blue ray movies :lol:
Life without music is a life without beauty.

garyj
Advanced Member

Post by garyj » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:51 pm

Headphone listening can be quite good. Not sure if you sold your system when you turned it off, but if you still have the source and amp you can use it for headphones. Gilbert built an adapter for me (see the thread a few before this one). It is a good way to get into headphones without investing in lots of new stuff. And if you have s nice blue circle amp like I did it is fabulous with the right headphone. I have the he-6. It is overkill perhaps but just bests the hell out of the headphone amps I have heard (I have never heard s blue circle headphone amp so cannot comment. Good luck.
gary

Bluecirclerookie
Advanced Member

Post by Bluecirclerookie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks Garyj for ur reply...i actually sold my 2channel rig some time ago to be honest..it was all luxman stuff... Nothing to high end.. I now only have a premium model AV onkyo amp for my home cinema system with a tannoy surround speaker set.
Never ever heard of BC to be honest until may this year... But after reading bout their products and my recent contacts with gilbert about my new amp made me more enthousiastic every single day... This particular amp was actually totally on his advice and his idea....until now its his baby..i dont even know what it will be..only that it will be based on the heavenly NSL but with 5-8 watts into 50ohm and only capable to drive headphones and only with USB 24/96 input and balanced xlr output... He said..and i quote: it will sound like a NSL with super dynamics and lots of punch and able to drive a he6 (my next headphone)..so u can guess i am jumping on my chair waiting for it :lol:

Once again thank u for ur advice..if i did have a bc amp i probably would use it with my headphones also..but who knows..next year am moving to a bigger house...more rooms..so maybe if the wifey agrees i can make a dedicated listening room...and then i probably will contact giLbert again for advice what to do.....soundwise..but first this amp...

garyj
Advanced Member

Post by garyj » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Actually, the suggestion was for Jo
gary

Bluecirclerookie
Advanced Member

Post by Bluecirclerookie » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Really? My apologies then for replying. :shock:

garyj
Advanced Member

Post by garyj » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Sorry I was not clear, bluecirclerookie Sounds like you already have something pretty special on order. I was responding to the earlier question because so many people with perfectly good amps sitting around get on the cycle of buying and selling different headphone amps for different headphones.
gary

Bluecirclerookie
Advanced Member

Post by Bluecirclerookie » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:19 pm

Thats okay..and i know what u mean...i see it happen in my friends circle also... And to be honest..i just dont understand the idea also in buying different headphone amps for different headphones....

Oh well..am happy i am on the blue circle wagon now (amp/dac and plc fx2)..u guys are so much more relaxed...and know ur stuff.

Damn..every single day i get more nervous..u all must have felt the same thing while waiting for ur blue circle amp right? As 6months waiting time can be soooo long.

Is it normal that when u receive ur amp that u post a short review with impressions about it? Just asking as i am new here. :lol:

cedboe

Post by cedboe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:27 am

Hi Bluecirclerookie,

As I own the HE-6 and the EF-6, I would be very interested in having your opinion about the special amp you asked Gilbert to build. I must say the HE-6/EF-6 combo is just amazing, a no brainer and one of the best combo in the headphone world. Especially for the price. But Gilbert makes heaven products...when will you get it ?

And btw, if you listen to many genres of music, you cannot go wrong with the HE-6. Just burn it in properly before making any judgment ! It can sound thin for the first 50 hours or so.

Maybe I should plan a trip to Amsterdam one of these days...so few europeans own BC gear...

Looking forward to having your impressions !

Bluecirclerookie
Advanced Member

Post by Bluecirclerookie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:42 pm

hey cedboe,
i hope to have the amp around 15 dec at my doorstep.... i will buy the he6 next year..for now it will drive a he500, as my budget went all into the amp...

ofcourse ur always welcome t listen to my new amp next year (when its properly burned in ofcourse) when ur visiting holland as i agree that BC has to little love in europe!...

as i said..i will only buy the he6 around april next year..but i asked gilbert to make it futureproof to drive the he6 (or any newer higher end can hifiman will pump out next year).. i will keep u updated..a friend of mine has a burned in he6...so as soon i have my amp i will try his can out on my amp :D