BC22 vs. BC24 Differences in Sound?

Lee

Post by Lee » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:31 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has owned both of these amps before and could compare the differences in their sounds? I know the BC24 is a hybrid amp and I do like the "tube" sound but I'd like some first hand observations from people who've had experiences with both.

Thanks,

Lee

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:37 pm

I've not compared the BC22mkII and BC24, but I've done some extensive comparisons with the BC26mkII and BC28...would be more than happy to get into some details if that is interesting to you...
NY/NJ Metro Blue Circle Dealer
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com

Will
Advanced Member

Post by Will » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:21 pm

I own the BC22 mk.2 and have borrowed my uncle's BC24 for comparison. Both are good amps.

I don't have an SPL meter so it was hard to compare the 2 amps fairly since the BC24 has more gain so music was louder at the same volume knob(s) setting on my BC3. This gave it the impression of having more detail.

My BC22 has deeper and "faster" bass. Whereas the BC24 was more refined/delicate sounding. I could see someone leaning either way depending on their tastes. If you listen mostly to jazz/chamber music and 85 watts was enough, the BC24 might work better. My tastes in music includes larger scale symphonic works and rock so I appreciate the deeper bass of my BC22 mk.2 (note, the BC24 has better bass than my BC22 before I upgraded it to mk.2 status). But the main reason I prefer the BC22 is because it has a lower noise floor due to the lower gain (and I guess also because it's not a hybrid)

Taken on their own terms, neither amp can be considered lacking in any area (for their price range). Both played music much better than the Bryston 4B-ST I used to own.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:52 am

Gilbert, what is the going rate for a BC22 upgrade to MkII? I've been meaning to send mine in for a while, and I've been hearing consistently positive reports on the upgrade.

BTW, my BC22 is rather old, it doesn't have the pin-fin heat sinks I see in images on this site. Any chance those could be "upgraded" as well, or would it make any difference?

Thanks!