NSL review............ (s).............

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

NSL review............ (s).............

Post by Gilbert Y » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:52 am

First review for the NSL. More to come in the future.

http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php/equ ... -amplifier

Raven
Dealer

Post by Raven » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:04 pm

I had the opportunity to hear the NSL just after it was completed and it was not broken in at the time. I found the sound to be remarkably real. It made everything else I had ever heard sound processed or reproduced.

In this article the reviewer stated how the cymbals sounded 'real'. I had a good friend over to hear the NSL. He is a professional drummer and has recorded with many artists. He remarked that he had never heard cymbals reproduced EXACTLY as they sound when he plays his kit. We played one of his recordings and he was stunned to say the least.

At the time I did have one reservation however. I found the bass to be thin. Yes it was all there and as stated in the review it went lower than any other amplifier I had heard AND it was controlled. No boom, so sloppiness and no distortion. Gilbert noted that since the NSL needed about 400 more hours to break in I needed to give it a few days at least to work out the newness (my words, not his). Just like all electronics it would fill out nicely in time.

After a few days it was filling out but unfortunately I had to (insert sobbing here) return the unit to head out to the reviewer.

As for the reviewers note on the 4 ohm speakers, it is a shame he did not have a chance to try the NSL in that setup. I did. No worries there.

The NSL is staggeringly good. You will hate hearing it because once you do.......well you will either frantically sell your other gear or maybe your car and then the wait until it gets delivered to you will drive you mad.

Bob Neill
Dealer

Thin Bass

Post by Bob Neill » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:41 am

I have found that if you are used to any amp with tubes, either all tubes, or a hybrid, your early impressions of a non-tube amp that has really accurate bass is that it will sound a bit thin. Then somebody plucks an acoustic bass and suddenly it's all there. There is just no bass when there isn't any in the music. This adjustment takes a while. The test is when you return to the tubed amp: it will then tend to sound just a bit thick...and yes, bassy. Then you will adjust to that, and it will sound natural. So don't do what I do: Don't have BOTH around to drive you nuts!