Axpona 2013 room 837

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Axpona 2013 room 837

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Going to show can be additive. Since so many people tell me at TAVES in the past weekend I need to show my face, here I am.........

We have reserved room 837 for 2013 Axpona in Chicago. It's from March 8 to 10, 2013. You know the best part is, I can go back to sleep with Penny (my four legs girl friend) every night and claim business expense. :) :D

bish
Advanced Member

Congrats on a great show!

Post by bish » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:18 pm

I've typically missed most of the audio shows due to their location or issues surrounding our itinerary around the time of the event. Frankly it's tough to jump in a plane bound for Vegas with everything else going on these days.

However as this one was in my area I decided to stop by & tour the Axpona show. I'm quite pleased that I invested the time to do so.

As no surprise the after touring the various venues the TLP Audio / Blue Circle room was the most musical sounding system I encountered at the show. In all fairness I tend to show a healthy degree of bias towards BC equipment as I feel it reproduces my wide catalog of musical tastes in the manor that the artists & recording engineers intended. As a personal validation I noticed more than a few individuals conveying similar comments as they were walking out the of the TLP/BC room after hearing the demo.

I'm looking forward to the next time Axpona comes to town as it's been far too long since we've had a proper audio show in Chicago. It was great seeing you guys again & in the meantime keep the great music flowing!

-- PS; Ice Man it was a pleasure meeting you as well!

Cheers -- Bish

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:45 pm

According to the e-mails we have received from Axpona, they are going to have a 2014 show in Chicago again. As long as Penny let me sleep in her house, I will go again.

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:14 am

Bish, it was very nice meeting you as well. Life's short: go ahead and place that order with Walt! Your system will then be complete. :-)

I had the pleasure of spending quite a bit of time with Gilbert and Walt this past weekend. What great guys. The system consisted of the the BC1022 solid state amplifier, the new prototype BC 307 multi-hybrid preamp with L3 power supply, BC 507 DAC, BC 6000 power conditioner, and various BC cables which all drove the PSB Imagine B. WOW. Absolutely a fantastic system. I attended most of the rooms-- all the big name rooms we all know-- and nothing grabbed me as emotionally as the BC system. I would consider the BC system-- a dream system-- which would be the end of equipment upgrades, and allow one to just listen to music, and smile at how damn good and real it sounds. This was the first time that I heard a complete, high-end BC system. There is no question, in my mind, that it had synergy-- it was clearly more than the sum of the individual parts. I'm not going to bore you with all the audiophile terms regarding what I heard. To sum it up, vocals were creepy real, my toes couldn't stop tapping, and more often than not, I kept saying to myself, "Holy shit, that sounds good."

I thought the BC 307 preamp with L3 power supply was one of the coolest things I have ever seen in audio. It is a multi-hybrid preamp. I'm using the word "multi-hybrid" because you have a choice of either listening to it in one of four configurations: 1) solid state, 2) with a 6922 tube, 3) with a 6SN7 tube, or 4) any combination of the three-- it's four preamps in one. Some time ago, I had a 6SN7 preamp. While I did experiment with tube rolling at the time, I did find it a bit too smooth for my taste. However, on certain types of music, it sounded great. I currently have a BC preamp which uses 6922 tubes. I have had the preamp for 9+ years-- and absolutely love it. I am using the EH6922 stock tubes. To my ears, it is much cleaner than the 6SN7, but just as good on music emphasizing vocals in folk or jazz music. When I heard my show disc with the BC 307, in full solid state mode, my jaws dropped and my heart raced. It was fast, clean, VERY musical, and without any sort of harshness typically associated with some solid state gear. I listened most of the weekend, and was simply amazed by it. Come Sunday afternoon, I had zero listening fatigue. I was giddy, and must have been smiling like an idiot. The music I brought was Top 40 pop. I played around with the different preamp configurations, but it was clear that I definitely favored solid state for my disc. Gilbert then played some of his music, setting the preamp to a combination of tubes and solid state. Listening to his music and switching back to solid state, I preferred his combination of both tubes and the solid state. The tubes added a smoothness that I loved on certain music. There is knob for each tube and one for solid state. If you wanted full solid state, for example, you turned it completely one way, while turning both tube knobs to the opposite direction; 100% solid state, 0% for each tube. While I don't know the specs on the L3 power supply, I do know that if your funds are short, one can start with an L1 power supply and build up at a future time-- like all BC gear. I am guessing that you could also get a bare bones preamp (as long as it's upgradeable), and in the future build up to the BC 307 with power supply level XXX-XXX-XX. (As Gilbert often says, "The sky's the limit.") This option of adding solid state to your tube amp or vice versa, with either one or both tube types, is likely possible for one's BC preamp. Checking with Walt at TLP Audio or your local dealer will ensure your answer. I think I can say, for all BC owners, that we just LOVE this flexibility and customization. For me personally, I was sold on the solid state. I have put in an order to upgrade my preamp with the solid state module. I'll have the ability to listen to my preamp with either all tube (6922), all solid state, or any combination of the two.

Finally, I want to say something about Walt at TLP Audio. Having spent most of the weekend with him, I can honestly say that he is, by far, the nicest dealer I have ever met-- he is the polar opposite of a "normal" dealer: aggressive, slick and just out to get your money. He will spend the time to listen to YOUR needs and propose some alternatives for you to consider-- without being the slightest bit pushy. He will work within your budget (we all have one), and never push something outside of it on you. Of course, we all want the very best-- who doesn't? I hate it when dealers play that game. Walt is the opposite of that sort of sliminess. If you are interested in BC gear and live in the Chicago area, do not have a dealer near you, or aren't happy with your dealer, reach out and contact Walt at TLP Audio-- you won't regret it.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Here are a few pictures of our room.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17843311@N ... 992080348/

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Wed May 01, 2013 8:36 am

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Fri May 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Just got a chance to read the show report from SoundStage! I need to clearify something. I have never wear a black jean and never own a pair neither. If is is black, it was either dirty or too dark for the person to see the color.

When I was wearing my designer T-shirt, the word on the T-shirt actually have serious meaning. They weren't random. I am not good enough to draw cartoon. May be my hand writing were so bad he mistake that as cartoon.

I don't understand how Garrett thinks I have a "friendly gaze"? Since I hate all people equally, I must pretend I love everybody and smile at all the shows. May be either I pretend well or he mistaken my gaze as friendly.

When he came to do the listening, I wasn't wearing a suit either. It was just a grey sport coat. There is a different between sport coat and suit.

Man, if this is a paul duck review, I would request a re-write. :wink: 8)

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Fri May 03, 2013 8:15 pm

....sounds like he had a silly-cone od :shock: :lol: 8) :arrow: