BC309 tube preamp

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

BC309 tube preamp

Post by Gilbert Y » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:11 pm

No more thinking whether you want a 6922 or 6SN7 tube for your preamp. I have put both inside this new BC309 and they are running in parrallel. The user can adjust the level of 6SN7 and 6922 as they wish to suit the music

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17843311@N ... 449950905/

There are more preamps coming which will use similar design in the future.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Clever...!Image

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:50 am

Never been a big fan of the design approach that tries to please the "just can't decide" crowd ... ask me its got "gimmick" written all over it!

Sorry

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:09 pm

bjh wrote:Never been a big fan of the design approach that tries to please the "just can't decide" crowd ... ask me its got "gimmick" written all over it!

Sorry
Don't be sorry now. You have the right to be sorry when you decided not to hear it and what it can do for you.

If you say it's gimmick, it's gimmick for you. That mean everything that give the user a choice are gimmick. Do you roll tubes? Hmmmmm, that tube socket is gimmick. Use different power cords? They evil IEC power inlet is a gimmick too. Because it let you try different power cord and for people who can't decide. We should go back to the good old day and have it hard wire with a cheap PVC power cord. People were happier not to have to spend thousands of dollars on power cords.
:lol: :D

Try to think when you have some really good CDs but they should so bloody bright and then the next CD it sound so lay back. Can you have two systems to play on them? Most of us can't. So this preamp will let you adjust to suit the sound coming through the source.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" A quote from Bill Cosby. It's on the wall right beside my work bench to remind me what NOT to do.

I did this preamp not to please anyone but one person who ask me if I blend the sound of two tubes together. I have been long thinking about how to blend the sound of two or more kinds of devices (tube and/or solid-state) together. This person just push me over the edge and I finally have done it. It is going to debut at the Montreal show.
:wink:

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Just thought of something..............

If you move you furniture around the listening room, the sound changes. less furniture brighter sound, a little bit more 6SN7 will pull it right back to just right. What if your wife decided a area rug is a good thing, then put a little more 6922, you will get your sound back.

There are many other application with this design. Most companies these days go with digital room correction. A lot, if not most, don't sound right after all the digital conversion between digital to analog. When the signal is in analog domain, I rather keep it in analog.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:53 am

...and maybe, we will see pre-amps with tone controls. ( Along with the attached ZIP cords.) Image

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 am

BlueKnight wrote:...and maybe, we will see pre-amps with tone controls. ( Along with the attached ZIP cords.) Image

Tone control when it's done right, it's not a bad thing. What make you think Cello used to made a paramatric EQ for?

:wink:

Attached zip cord isn't my cup of tea. Too easy to get tangle when carrying the gear. :) :D

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:19 am

Hmmm.... OK, I think I got it .... One man's gimmick is another man's tweak!

Alright then, I find this new preamp *tweaky*!

:P :P :P

wstagner
Dealer

Post by wstagner » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34 am

I thing this is a grate Idea. I'd say it provides the user with lots of "tweakability." I'm for anything that helps make a sail!
TLP Audio<br>http://www.classicpumps.com/tlpmain.htm<br>Illinois Authorized Blue Circle Dealer

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:29 am

Gilbert mentioned it would also be possible to blend SS with tube.

When I was trying to decide between 109 (SS) and 303 (tube), this would have been one option that I would have went for, assuming it would still be a no compromise design.