Yalu Balula & passive power conditioning

GrnCdn

Yalu Balula & passive power conditioning

Post by GrnCdn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi guys,

A question regarding the Yalu Balula... if on my living room wall, I have a duplex outlet... in the 1st of the duplex outlet's 2 outputs, I attach a passive 6-socket power conditioning bar (with no surge protection) to which all of 6 of my audio equipment components are attached (no free/available outputs on the power bar after all equipment is attached)... and then, in the 2nd of the duplex outlet's 2 outputs, I plug in a Yalu Balula....

Q1: Is all of my audio equipment then protected from surges/spikes?

Q2: Will the passive power conditioning bar now provide limited dynamics to my audio equipment/amp, due to power flow now being restrained from flowing freely from the 1st duplex-outlet's output, due to the watchful-eye of the Yalu Balula in the 2nd duplex-outlet output? ... thereby defeating one of the main intentions of using 'passive' power conditioning?

Thank you,

GrnCdn

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Q1 Yes (although no protection is perfect as far as I know)

Q2 No ... at least I wasn't under the impression the Yalu Balula (which uses standard Metal oxide varistors/MOV devices for spike suppression if not mistaken) had any impact on a system's dynamics.

GrnCdn

Post by GrnCdn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:48 pm

BJH... regarding Q2, perhaps I am not using the right vocabulary. But, do you know what I mean? It's my understanding that surge protectors regulate the flow of electricity to the power bar... so if the amp component suddenly needs to draw a whole lot of power for UMPH!, it may fall short because the surge protection won't allow the amp to draw all the power it's asking for in that instant. So... will using the Yalu Balula surge protector OUTSIDE of the power bar, but attached to the same duplex-outlet... will I get the surge protection without limiting power to the components - aka, the best of both worlds?

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:12 pm

The MOV devices are connected in parallel with the power line, not in series, so they don't "regulate" the flow of enegry/current.

Further for normal voltages they present a very high impedance meaning they draw virtually no current whatsoever ... so basically they act as if they're no there at all.

When presented with a very high voltage however (a voltage spike or surge) then they present a low impedance and hence divert the energy of the spike from getting to the connected equipment, current from the spike goes threw the MOVs, not through the equipment .... the protection mechanism.

MOVs degrade with repeated spikes and eventually fail completely, the idea being it's lot better to have the MOV die protecting the equipment because the alternative is, well, the equipment!

:)

That's my layman's explanation ... perhaps someone more qualified might chirp in.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks bjh. You have done a really good job of explaining the Yalo Bulala. There is only one piece of information missing. The Yalo Bulala uses MOV and TVS diode. MOV degrades generally due to the small spikes which kept hitting on it. Therefore we put a TVS diode to deal with the everyday small spikes. It also protect the MOV. Save the MOV for the BIG surge when/if it ever comes.

GrnCdn

Post by GrnCdn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Terrific! Thank you for the clear explanations... the parallel vs series, and how it applies to the two outputs of a single outlet while using the YB was just what I needed.

And thanks Gilbert, for chiming in with some additional info.

I'll have to pick some of these up. But man, yellow?! lol Gilbert, do any of your suppliers in have them in white or black, perhaps? And if so, is there a premium for such a major style upgrade?

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:26 pm

GrnCdn wrote:Terrific! Thank you for the clear explanations... the parallel vs series, and how it applies to the two outputs of a single outlet while using the YB was just what I needed.

And thanks Gilbert, for chiming in with some additional info.

I'll have to pick some of these up. But man, yellow?! lol Gilbert, do any of your suppliers in have them in white or black, perhaps? And if so, is there a premium for such a major style upgrade?
We got someone asking for white or black this afternoon, was that you GrnCdn? :wink:

At the time, we have decided not possible to make a white or black. But then I start thinking, yes, probably we can make a black because there are black plug available. I have to find out how much though.

GrnCdn

Post by GrnCdn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 pm

What a coincidence! That I and someone else ask about white or black YBs in the same day! Who'da thunk. :)

So... if black is possible, let me know if there's a price difference... and whether I'd have I'd deal with shipping it directly from you, or one of your affiliated retail dealers.

Thanks!

Wes

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:22 pm

OK, let me see what I can do to make a black prototype in the next few days. If the prototype is successful I will post pictures.

masluck
Advanced Member

Post by masluck » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:48 am

Well, Yalu Balula do turn black if you don't eat them fast enough.... :D :D :D

GrnCdn

Post by GrnCdn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 am

As for potential names...

Blac O'bomma (black bomb... 'cause the MOV does blow up!) ... any similarity to 'Barack Obama' is purely coincidental.

Blacah Bommah, perhaps?

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Yalo Bulala turns into Black Bulala

Post by Gilbert Y » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 am

see picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17843311@N ... hotostream

So it is available. Price......

CAD32.50 each

CAD82.00 for a pack of three

I can hear people are saying it is too expensive but it is what it is. The black plug are a lot more expensive than the yellow plug. That's why we use the yellow plug to begin with. Cosmetics cost money. :wink: :roll:

GrnCdn

Post by GrnCdn » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:13 am

Golly gee, that's a serious premium for black over yellow. Umn... thank you for taking the time to make one of these up, but that bump in price is too much for me to justify, sorry. I hope you're able to at least sell those prototypes... heck, I hope you're able to sell a whole bunch of them! But I think I'll stick with the yellow ones for now. Thanks!

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:48 am

Slow day....

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:43 pm

BlueKnight wrote:Slow day....
Image 8) :arrow: