Stetzerizer & Sillycone filters

nikki
Advanced Member

Stetzerizer & Sillycone filters

Post by nikki » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:31 am

I received the Stetzerizer meter in the mail just like the one that Gilbert was using at Axpona. Believe what you will about the company's claim about health benefits of using their filters to reduce electrical noise, but I have to admit that the meter is a valuable tool if you want to a quantitative idea of electrical noise issues in your home.

Taken from their site, the meter measures noise in GS units.
"GS (Graham-Stetzer) Units are a measure of the average magnitude of the voltage surge (i.e. the rate of change of the voltage with time, or dV/dt) at the electrical socket. One GS Unit is 24 Volts per second."

Apparently a reading > 50 GS is not beneficial for your well being. I don't think I have any circuit (unfiltered) in the home that is less than 50. If you have a dimmer in a room, then forget about it, it will make the electrical noise jump tenfold. :shock: :? :cry: :roll:

I was surprised by the amount of noise of some of my dedicated lines. I always knew that at certain times of the day, the dedicated lines for my amps would make PSA Harvesters flash like crazy. Now I have a better idea of how bad it really is. During the day, the noise level averages between 200-300, but in the evening, the noise spikes up anywhere between 700-800!

The first photo showed a reading of 717 tonight with no filters plugged in. It seems that I am exceeding the health limit 14 times over! :shock: :wink:

This next photo shows what happens when I plug in a Harvester. These little Harvesters actually do a better job than I expected, dropping the noise to 200.

Next, I try a 6x Sillycone filter and the pipe easily trounced the Harvesters, settling down at 46.

Finally, I try the my new 24x filters that are still going through burn-in period. Noise level drops down to 24 - nice! And if I plug in the second 24x filter into the adjacent outlet for the right side amp, it brings down the noise level on this circuit down to 20, even though they are on separate breakers. It looks like Gilbert's filters work at a fair distance.

Although I didn't take a picture of it, I also tried the 18x filter and it was able to bring the noise level down to around 30.

I love the fact that I can now quantitatively see what adding extra filtering is doing in my system. Listening impressions will come once the new 24x pipes have had time to settle in.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:52 am

Did I create this duplicate thread - could swear it was not here before?

Admin - please feel free to delete this one.