Stetzerizer & Sillycone filters

nikki
Advanced Member

Stetzerizer & Sillycone filters

Post by nikki » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:32 am

I received the Stetzerizer meter in the mail just like the one that Gilbert was using at Axpona. Believe what you will about the company's claim about health benefits of using their filters to reduce electrical noise, but I have to admit that the meter is a valuable tool if you want to a quantitative idea of electrical noise issues in your home.

Taken from their site, the meter measures noise in GS units.
"GS (Graham-Stetzer) Units are a measure of the average magnitude of the voltage surge (i.e. the rate of change of the voltage with time, or dV/dt) at the electrical socket. One GS Unit is 24 Volts per second."

Apparently a reading > 50 GS is not beneficial for your well being. I don't think I have any circuit (unfiltered) in the home that is less than 50. If you have a dimmer in a room, then forget about it, it will make the electrical noise jump tenfold. :shock: :? :cry: :roll:

I was surprised by the amount of noise of some of my dedicated lines. I always knew that at certain times of the day, the dedicated lines for my amps would make PSA Harvesters flash like crazy. Now I have a better idea of how bad it really is. During the day, the noise level averages between 200-300, but in the evening, the noise spikes up anywhere between 700-800!

The first photo showed a reading of 717 tonight with no filters plugged in. It seems that I am exceeding the health limit 14 times over! :shock: :wink:

This next photo shows what happens when I plug in a Harvester. These little Harvesters actually do a better job than I expected, dropping the noise to 200.

Next, I try a 6x Sillycone filter and the pipe easily trounced the Harvesters, settling down at 46.

Finally, I try the my new 24x filters that are still going through burn-in period. Noise level drops down to 24 - nice! And if I plug in the second 24x filter into the adjacent outlet for the right side amp, it brings down the noise level on this circuit down to 20, even though they are on separate breakers. It looks like Gilbert's filters work at a fair distance.

Although I didn't take a picture of it, I also tried the 18x filter and it was able to bring the noise level down to around 30.

I love the fact that I can now quantitatively see what adding extra filtering is doing in my system. Listening impressions will come once the new 24x pipes have had time to settle in.

k-Dub

Post by k-Dub » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:28 am

I most surely believe in break in! But even... how the... knowing how the 6x filters effect the system - they break in too? I mean audibly? I figure what they do, reduce noise - outside of 60hz, how?!?! parrallel to the main system...

Can you describe what the sound of the system is with the SillyCone filters Breaking in? Is it as bad a roller coaster ride as Power Cords, or Speaker cables? You know, that midrange suck out, with no bass, no hall info.... then bass returns with no highs... then the midrange starts to come back in... and eventually hall info and air return... That sort of thing - even with the parrallel filters?

Man - I would love to hear what others have experienced ie with Sillycone filters breaking in...

Oh - and thank you for the measurable results!!! That is crazy cool info!!!

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:33 pm

k-Dub,

I know exactly what you are thinking because I only discovered this Sillycone filter thing about a year ago and went through a similar learning process. You can see my comments in this thread:

http://bluecircle.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... c&start=15

I asked Gilbert if I could try a 6x filter, so he sent a couple of brand new pipes. It never occurred to me that I should allow these things to settle in and Gilbert never mentioned anything about letting them break-in. So when I got them, I plugged them in and started comparing the 6x filter to the PSA Harvesters which was what I was using at the time. Immediately I liked the pipes a lot more than what the Harvesters, so I ordered a couple of 18x filters to be used on the 208s.

When I finally received the 18x filters, I plugged them in and started listening and it would be an understatement to say that I was underwhelmed by them. I emailed Gilbert and said that I had over done it - too much of a good thing. The presentation was just too relaxed and I seemed to be missing air and high frequency extension. Gilbert replied and just told me to relax and give them some time. The 18x filter have a lot of capacitors in them and they need to break-in. No way, I said, it's just a parallel line filter!

In answer to your question, YES, you will experience similar break-in period and results as you described with your system. Maybe not quite as drastic but similar in many ways.

Having learned from my prior experience, when I received the 24x filters last week, I immediately took them down to the basement and plugged them into a timer for burn in. Gilbert said I could speed up the process by cycling them on and off every hour, so that's what I did. These pipes were also very smelly so I didn't want them in my audio room either. I finally moved the pipes into the audio room last night ... and they still stink. Going to give them another week before I comment on the way they sound, but let me tell you, I have a big grin on my face.

Having just re-read what I wrote last year, the only comment that I would take back somewhat is having said that the 6x filter is the sweet spot in this line. I think it would have been more accurate to say that the amount of filtering that one needs is highly dependent on the quality of power going to your room. In my particular situation, I wouldn't want anything less than 18x.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:38 am

Great demo Nikki...!

k-Dub

Post by k-Dub » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback Nikki! Confirms my hunch, as I had a 6x filter in here - and also felt so-so in my initial impression/feedback... I never thought about the caps charge/discharge cycle break in needed for this parallel filter... Masluck has that 6x now :)

I find I am very sensitive to things that affect the stage and system as a whole (footers/isolation, phase of recordings - and break in!)

I think I have to re-visit this stinky pipe noise scrubby multiplier :) maybe bigger stinky pipe noise scrubby multiplier - and let it break in somewhere away from ears and nose

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:05 pm

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:27 pm

K-Dub
Definitely give them more time, but like anything in audio, nothing is universal, especially when it comes to power.

Go big - size matters :)

k-Dub

Post by k-Dub » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:14 pm

Hey Mike - is that Al? (diggin on Silicone in the AM) He doesn't look like Gilbert!!

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:15 am

Yep, that's Al alright. You can tell by the 6-pack. :twisted: :lol:

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:49 am

I took delivery of two new 24x filters and one 18x filter over 2 weeks ago. For the first week, they sat in the basement on a timer cycling them on/off every hour to accelerate the break-in period. Last week, the new pipes were moved into the audio room and I could tell that they were doing something special but I wanted to give them another week before making any comments.

Since I already own two 18x and two 16x filters, I was able to compare the new with the current, and my ears are telling me these new filters still have some ways to go in terms of break-in. The new 18x filter is not quite as relaxed yet, so I will have so speculate that the 24x filters are still cooking as well.

I compared the 24x vs 18x on the amplifier circuits. I don't think anyone will be too surprised that the 24x filters are better than the 18x. The 24x impart a greater sense of ease with better separation and space. Everything that I have said about the 18x is true, but the 24x goes further. I also compared the 24x to the 6x pipe which I know isn't a fair fight. It did however give me some perspective - the difference between the 24x vs 6x is similar to a comparison of 6x vs PS Audio Harvesters, ie no contest. I've said it before, go as big as you can.

But the reason that I am currently giddy about these Sillycone filters has nothing to do with the 24x being better than the 18x filter, but rather, it is their combined effect of ALL the filtering, which has brought the system up another notch. With all the pipes plugged in (2-24x, 3-18x, 2-6x), I have a total of 114x filtering in my room. Every dedicated circuit never exceeds the low 20s on the Stetzer meter regardless of the time of day. The sound that comes out of the system is effortless - it is so easy to hear every breath, every nuance, every detail, yet not in an exaggerated or artificial way. It is the same feeling I got when I went from the BC206 to the BC208, everything so damn natural, organic, real, ... Wow!

It makes you wonder if there is a limit to the amount of filtering, but even Gilbert says that at some point, adding more filters shouldn't make a difference. I don't think I have reached that limit yet but the reality is that there are just so many pipes that you can hang off the wall ... but I would sure be willing to try :-).

And of course, YMMV.