BC3 Despina

RRClassic

BC3 Despina

Post by RRClassic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:32 am

Hi everyone, I am new here so hello to all. I just purchased a BC3 Despina and had a question on upgrades. From what I understand by upgrading the power supply turns the package into the Galatea. I have heard mixed reviews on how much the power supply upgrade (Galatea) really improves the sound quality.

My question in all of this is: Is it posible to upgrade the preamp to the MK2 version and keep the BC3G power supply? is it worth it, If so what are opinions on the MKII vs the MKI...I have not received the unit yet so it may be a moot point as I may love it as is.

Anyway, some of the versions are confusing so any help would be great!!
Thank you

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:42 pm

brwm05

Post by brwm05 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Awesome preamp, you won't be sorry. I was watching that ad also and you got it for an unbelievable price and IMHO nothing can touch it as it is for the price but you would be better served to contact Gilbert directly he will work with you on any upgrades that you might have in mind. BC preamps are some of the most musically satisfying components on the planet (I own 2 also a custom 21.1) then I purchased a BC26NST-M2 replacing 2 of the well regarded amps that I had rotated through my main system, consider my mind blown an all BC system is musical nirvanna, gilbert's power cords and power conditioners are outstanding too, welcome to the BC nation

RRClassic

BC3

Post by RRClassic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:55 pm

brwm05 wrote:Awesome preamp, you won't be sorry. I was watching that ad also and you got it for an unbelievable price and IMHO nothing can touch it as it is for the price but you would be better served to contact Gilbert directly he will work with you on any upgrades that you might have in mind. BC preamps are some of the most musically satisfying components on the planet (I own 2 also a custom 21.1) then I purchased a BC26NST-M2 replacing 2 of the well regarded amps that I had rotated through my main system, consider my mind blown an all BC system is musical nirvanna, gilbert's power cords and power conditioners are outstanding too, welcome to the BC nation
Great, thank you very much. It is interesting because I read reviews from years ago about the BC3 like mine and people were gushing. It would cost me $2,050 to upgrade the BC3 to an MK2. I am not sure if it is worth it based on the great reviews the original BC3 received. Just trying to find out if anyone has compared the MK1 to the MK2. If it is unanimous that the MK2 is just substantially better then I may try that down the road. Mark from Blue Circle says that the MK2 has more bottom end and better sound staging. Always hard to quantify the value of upgrades without experiencing them.

Thank you again!

RRClassic

BC3

Post by RRClassic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 pm

I forgot to ask, I read somewhere that Blue Circle uses Jena Labs wiring inside the units....has that been the case from the beginning?

Jena Labs is a partner to my company making custom guitar cables. I also own several pairs of interconnects and two pairs of speaker cables in my stereo system...love their stuff!!

Thanks

brwm05

Post by brwm05 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Some of the construction details and features of your fine preamp:

Cardas Quad Eutectric solder and RCA jacks

Holco 0.5 % metal film resisters

Kimber Kaps

Jenna Labs internal wiring

Neutric connectors

Shallco military grade volume control & selector switches w/ silver coin contacts

Solen Fast Caps

.25" acrylic signal board with adjustable isolation towers

hope that helps

:D :D

RRClassic

BC3

Post by RRClassic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 pm

brwm05 wrote:Some of the construction details and features of your fine preamp:

Cardas Quad Eutectric solder and RCA jacks

Holco 0.5 % metal film resisters

Kimber Kaps

Jenna Labs internal wiring

Neutric connectors

Shallco military grade volume control & selector switches w/ silver coin contacts

Solen Fast Caps

.25" acrylic signal board with adjustable isolation towers

hope that helps

:D :D
Excellent, that is what I saw....I will have to let Jennifer know I bought a product with her wires in it......I am sure she already knows but I am pleased to know that Gilbert appreciates how good her stuff is and uses it!!

Thanks again, I appreciate the information
Chris

brwm05

Post by brwm05 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Glad I could help.......Best Regards Tim 8) 8)