NSL review by TAB

Jeddy
Advanced Member

Post by Jeddy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:47 am

I guess every forum has it's elitist curmudgeon.
CAM has ERIK, zappa.com has JPFUNK
then there's ROMY THE CAT..sheesh!
Don't get me started about THAT GUY!!

Anyways,
Little sonic characteristics are very relient on "hand made" methodology.

Don't change for anything Gil!!

bobneill
Advanced Member

Wonderful

Post by bobneill » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:45 pm

I am extremely happy for Gilbert and Blue Circle over this review. I know of very few designers who will just let it rip, marketability be damned, when they get what appears to be a brilliant idea. Michaelson heard the BC208 right and called it right. This gives him great credibility in assessing the NSL. There will be a time when I finally get to hear what this amp is all about. Many more than three cheers for this.

Jeddy
Advanced Member

Post by Jeddy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:43 pm

I'd love to hear this too!!

I'm curious to know what speakers Gilbert used to "fine tune" this amp.

Maybe I can weazle a "listening appointment" someday at the "ranch."
I live ......oh.....two minutes down the road.....

Maybe Gil will take a "trade in" of my car?

bobneill
Advanced Member

Gilbert and the Trend

Post by bobneill » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:11 pm

There is a quiet, somewhat below the radar, trend, attended to mainly by people who value music over sonic personality in gear, who are fewer than we may think. I'm not sure that Gilbert began it, though he may have and surely would like to have. It just wasn't financially feasible 10-12 years ago is my guess. People just weren't ready for it, wallowing in clouds of enriched harmonics called "musicality." And I include myself in that crowd.

But on the edge of Gilbert's marque, a couple of component emerged that showed he understood that the way to music itself was not through the coloration, amelioration, charm, 'the tube sound,' etc. that people liked and that sold electronics, including his own most popular gear. Like most of us, I reacted against these early 'experimental' pieces, finding them too cold. Either they WERE too cold (highly unlikely) or, as I say, I was part of the musicality epidemic myself. I was even initially resistent to the Mk II versions of his preamps!

I suspect I will find, when I get to hear it, that the NSL is the culmination of this trend at Blue Circle. And it sounds as if some people are ready to hear it now. I will come to it from a Crimson (UK) solid state amp which is part of the same trend. When I first heard the Crimson I did not like it at all. My ears were full of my Blue Circle hybrids and Audio Note tube amps. Ultimately, I heard it for what it is and began to understand what Gilbert was up to with his new solid state pieces. When I first heard the prototype of his solid state, many capacitored, battery driven preamp a couple of years ago, it sounded unreal to me. Too pure, too distortionless to be real.

It will be interesting to see if this trend comes to the surface and succeeds in turning more than a few heads. It is not a lean, cold sound, as it has been called by the uninitiated. It is just not a fat, warm sound. It is a sound that eschews sonic personality in the interest of achieving real transparency, not the fake, abstract kind we hear so much about in reviews.

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:16 pm

On a few occasions recently,I've had some friends over to listen to my system.The words,real,live,true and natural were thrown out there.And the best compliment paid was that they wanted to come back to hear more.Regardless of what BC gear you own,to me,it will always be,Simplicity,Artistry,Music... 8) :arrow:

Jeddy
Advanced Member

Post by Jeddy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:22 pm

I hear the BC1022 is a real gem too!

Sugarbrie
Dealer

Patent

Post by Sugarbrie » Wed May 08, 2013 11:06 am

Gilbert,
Have you run to the Canadian patent office with your radical design?
The US Patent office headquarters are 2 miles from my house if you need a delivery? :D

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Fri May 10, 2013 7:01 am

Sugar

Interesting concept of getting a patent of the design. Nah..... I don't think I will waste my time to file the patent. Someone has suggested that to me when I built the original BC2. You know how much BS and paper work I have to do in order to file a patent. Then I have to wait and wait and explain to some people (patent office engineers) why and what and this and that. Also filing a patent mean completely disclose my design to the world. After that, I have to spend more time to defend anyone who copy it. Guess what, we north American and European are pretty ok in term of playing the game on the level field. There are many, MANY, a A lot of OTHER MANY who doen't. You know who I am talking aboooooooo. :D :) :lol: They will copy and do whatever they want. You try to sue them, their completely biased to hell government protect them and probably encourage them to copy other designs.

Ok, enough of the rant of the day. The bottom line is by the time someone actually spend the time to copy the NSL design, I would have already moved along to something else.

Wait, you just want me to bring a NSL to the patent office so you can get your hand on it. Now, that's you real motive. :? 8)

Sugarbrie
Dealer

NSL

Post by Sugarbrie » Tue May 14, 2013 9:56 am

Exactly.... The US Patent people could just come over to my house to check it out and do their review. I could even pick them up.. :D :wink:

The average wait time for patent approval is only 34-36 months. I promise to bring it back when it is done... :lol: