The Blue Circle Cooling Fans

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

The Blue Circle Cooling Fans

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:38 pm

With temperature over 30C (86F) and humidity over 85%, it is very uncomfortable for us two legged animal, so why would we assume our audio gears are comfortable? Over the years, people has been asking me can they put their amp(s) in a shelf with 2" space to vent. My honest answer would be no but I usually tell them be sure the cover is not too warm to touch. Well...... you know the rest of the story. :) :?

So here I finally put something together to solve, or at least minimize, the damage from the heat to the gears.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17843311@N00/9309809084/

A pair of cooling fan. Can be sold as pair, each, three or four of five or six. Depends on the application. However, the most common use is one pair (2 each).

The power supply has a two speed control. Most of the time low speed is good enough. In the picture we have a CS2 running in the shop at 31.2C at 90% humidity and the amp is running pretty warm without the fans. With the fans, the cover is almost cool to touch.

Pricing to follow. It is available in a basic form or fancy casing.

More info and pictures to follow soon.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Keeping the equipment cool and foremost out of a humid environment is primordial.

During the Summer months, I have a dehumidifier + AC keeping my dedicated Sound Room at 40% and 21

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:02 pm

I will post our reply to our customers when we receive them. Since it will also help others to answer their question. I will only post the answer from us unless we have permission from the sender to post the questions.

Here is the first one.

This product is available now. The fans are 3.2" square, 1.75" high.

Cost will depends on config. The most basic config is a power supply in a 4" pipe similar to a PLC Thingee with 5ft wire to the two fans. The fans are detachable from the power supply. Cost is USD/CAD250.00 retail.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:08 pm

The fans are mounted on four nylon legs so it doesn't marks the cover. They are blowing air into the amp instead of drawing air out. It is a more effective way to move air.

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:16 pm

Did you measure Al's temperature with and without fans?

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:37 pm

A quick measurement using the CS2 in the picture has shown the heatsink temperature between with and without the fans is 15C (59F).

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:19 am

Here is the final pricing. It is a little higher than I originally thought. I don't want to cut corner on the fan quality and the power supply.

2 fans set, $300.00
3 fans set, $360.00
4 fans set, $420.00
5 fans set, $480.00
6 fans set, $540.00

Each fan is detachable from the power supply with a 4ft telfon wire connect to it. Therefore, if one fan fail, it can be replace easily. If the set up changes, it can add or take out fan. This is assume the power supply can handle it. When you order the number of fan set, we will supply a power supply with the same number of outlet jack unless request. Therefore, if you are buying a 2 fan set, the power supply will have two jacks. 4 fan set will come with a power supply with four jacks.

If you only have a 2 jacks power supply and want to add more fans, we can supply an adapter.

As I have mentioned yesterday, the power supply will have a high low speed adjustment switch. There is also a power switch.

We can certainly use switching power supply off the shelf and make it a lot cheaper. However, the high pitch noise and the ripple from the switching power supply is going to affect the fan smoothness and therefore increase noise. I don't expect to sell a lot because of the cost but for those who decide to buy from us, you know what you are getting. :wink: :)

First, we have to build a power supply to make sure the fan motor noise doesn't get back into the power line. It has 47,000uF of capacitance in it. The fans will run for a moment after the power is turned off. Hey, if the fan motor noise got back into the power line that mean we can sell more BC6000.

:lol: :D

Second, we install a capacitor inside the fan to further smooth out the motor.

Hey, you can get a $15 8" desk top fan from any hardware store and do the same job. I have been telling a lot of customers to do that over the past 20 plus years. I have not seen many has done it. This special BC fan idea has been in my head for a long time and this summer is the last straw.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:23 am

Al just reminded me by using the 8" desk top fan, since it is a ac motor, it will put a heck of a noise into the power line. If you use a ac fan, you will probably need a PLC thingee or a 6X filter to go with it just to keep the noise out of the powerline.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Here is the first set of five fans with its power supply.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17843311@N ... 677237043/