Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Headphone adapter. The thread is below:

http://www.bluecircle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1626

garyj
Advanced Member

Post by garyj » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:26 pm

And it works very nicely. Clean sound and the ability to engage or disengage resistors means that it can work well with tube amps or solid state. Nice job.
gary

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:13 pm

Sorry I still don't get it ...perhaps if some could explain as if to a retard I might have 1/2 a chance of getting it. :evil: :cry: :cry:

garyj
Advanced Member

Post by garyj » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:32 pm

bjh wrote:Sorry I still don't get it ...perhaps if some could explain as if to a retard I might have 1/2 a chance of getting it. :evil: :cry: :cry:
Ok. Some headphones, such as the ones i have (Hifiman HE-6) need more power than many headphone amps can provide. There also are people who think that even some of the more sensitive headphones sound better with regular (speaker) amps. So the adapter is a way to connect a headphone to a speaker amp. You need to have a balanced termination on the headphone; several of the higher end come with a three or four pin neutrik connector. so the adapter allows you to connect to the headphone to a speaker amp. you use speaker cables (or jumper cable) from speaker to adapter to the headphone. the adapter has two types of resistors in it. the botton in the middle engages or disengages 8 ohm resistors that create a load for the amp. some tube amps need to be under load or the transformers will be very unhappy (I am sure that Gilbert can correct this). So when used with a transformer coupled amp you engage the resistors and you can not engage it when you have a solid state amp that does not need to be under load. the other two switches engage resistors that protect the headphones from the higher outputs of the speaker amps. you can disengage them and get the full power or have some resistance. the resistance reduces any noise from the amp and sound a little better in some cases. does that help?
gary

garyj
Advanced Member

Post by garyj » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:32 pm

bjh wrote:Sorry I still don't get it ...perhaps if some could explain as if to a retard I might have 1/2 a chance of getting it. :evil: :cry: :cry:
Ok. Some headphones, such as the ones i have (Hifiman HE-6) need more power than many headphone amps can provide. There also are people who think that even some of the more sensitive headphones sound better with regular (speaker) amps. So the adapter is a way to connect a headphone to a speaker amp. You need to have a balanced termination on the headphone; several of the higher end come with a three or four pin neutrik connector. so the adapter allows you to connect to the headphone to a speaker amp. you use speaker cables (or jumper cable) from speaker to adapter to the headphone. the adapter has two types of resistors in it. the botton in the middle engages or disengages 8 ohm resistors that create a load for the amp. some tube amps need to be under load or the transformers will be very unhappy (I am sure that Gilbert can correct this). So when used with a transformer coupled amp you engage the resistors and you can not engage it when you have a solid state amp that does not need to be under load. the other two switches engage resistors that protect the headphones from the higher outputs of the speaker amps. you can disengage them and get the full power or have some resistance. the resistance reduces any noise from the amp and sound a little better in some cases. does that help?
gary

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:00 pm

"does that help?"

Sure does! Thanks!