Fon Lo Thingee - two configurations

sgcsg1

Fon Lo Thingee - two configurations

Post by sgcsg1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:36 pm

1) You can get a FLT-IAB and put a biggie pipe power supply on it. Cost is just under $1100.

2) You can get a base fon lo thingee and add the Really Big Pipe power supply. Cost is just under $1100.

Any comments on which might be the better way to go?

NapTime

FLT

Post by NapTime » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi,

I started out with a base FLT with Biggie PS, and now have an FLT-iab with a Really Big Pipe PS. The Really Big Pipe really does make an audible difference in sound quality. If I only had $1100 to spend, and I wasn't planning on upgrading any time soon, I would probably go with the base FLT with Really Big Pipe. I upgraded to the FLT-iab for two reasons. First, I wanted something just a little bit prettier on the shelf to match my 507(ish) DAC. Second, I live in downtown Philly and the base FLT was prone to minor RFI feedback I assume from being in close proximity to so many radio towers. Most people don't have that issue, but if you do you can always put together a makeshift metal box or use tin foil. I did tin foil for a while until the iab version became available. Worked great - I just hid it behind my other equipment.

One other thing to keep in mind is that whatever way you choose you can always upgrade the weakest link later. Hope this helps.

Dan

cinellipro

Post by cinellipro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:43 pm

I have the FLT with the Really Big Pipe. No RFI/EMI issues. Could not be happier. One thing I noticed is that things begin to sound better as you improve the power cable. I upgraded from the Pangea AC-9 to Pangea AC9-SE from Audio Advisor. It made that much of a difference (in my system). If you have a better power cord recommendation I'm interested.
Also, has anyone added to SP pack to the Really Big Pipe?
Cheers!