BC 21.1 and remote control

Jymn

BC 21.1 and remote control

Post by Jymn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:59 pm

I'm buying a used 21.1 with the Shallco and remote control. I heard the rc takes away from the benefits of the Shallco.

Is this true? If so, can I disable the remote?

Thanks

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:25 pm

If I recall the remote control a pot and if you open it all the way (turn it all the way up) it is supposed to be out of the circuit and then you control the level with the shallco only.

I would think a front mounted bypass completely switch would be more perfect for the purist but hey it was designed for remote use so Glberts' solution is true BC

Jymn

Post by Jymn » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:25 pm

The previous owner added this:

"You would basically turn the manual Shallco all the way up and use the remote to lower and control the volume. I never used it and just left the little antenna out completely.

There is also a high/low level switch inside the unit, next to the Shallco. I used it in the low position. I found the high had a way to much gain and generated tube noise. But it's there if you needed."

Thanks bjh for your help but I'm still confused. I don't need the remote but the Shallco - yes!

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:04 am

Jymn wrote:The previous owner added this:

"You would basically turn the manual Shallco all the way up and use the remote to lower and control the volume. I never used it and just left the little antenna out completely.

There is also a high/low level switch inside the unit, next to the Shallco. I used it in the low position. I found the high had a way to much gain and generated tube noise. But it's there if you needed."

Thanks bjh for your help but I'm still confused. I don't need the remote but the Shallco - yes!
You can send the unit to us we can bypass the remote for you. But if you live far away, may be difficult.

Jymn

Please some non-technical answer to my question

Post by Jymn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:46 am

Thanks for all the helpful advice but my question about the remote and Shallco has not been answered:

Does the remote control adversely affect the Shallco? YES or NO. If YES, how much degradation to the Shallco with the remote? 10%? 50%? 100%?

I spent too much money for this piece for the Shallco to not be working perfectly. And yes Gilbert, it is too expensive to send the unit all the way to you from BC when I just paid $55 for shipping.

So, it is very important that someone plainly tell me if this unit operates at 100% with the remote or not OK with the remote. I didn't want the remote but it was included in the package.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Re: Please some non-technical answer to my question

Post by Gilbert Y » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:03 pm

Jymn wrote:Thanks for all the helpful advice but my question about the remote and Shallco has not been answered:

Does the remote control adversely affect the Shallco? YES or NO. If YES, how much degradation to the Shallco with the remote? 10%? 50%? 100%?

I spent too much money for this piece for the Shallco to not be working perfectly. And yes Gilbert, it is too expensive to send the unit all the way to you from BC when I just paid $55 for shipping.

So, it is very important that someone plainly tell me if this unit operates at 100% with the remote or not OK with the remote. I didn't want the remote but it was included in the package.
Turn the remote all the way up and then it will not affect the Shallco.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Re: Please some non-technical answer to my question

Post by Gilbert Y » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Gilbert Y wrote:
Jymn wrote:Thanks for all the helpful advice but my question about the remote and Shallco has not been answered:

Turn the remote all the way up and then it will not affect the Shallco.
Jymn

If my short explanation still doesn't make sense, let me know and I will try again.

Jymn

Post by Jymn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:19 pm

Thank you, Gilbert!! That answers the question beautifully.