N Series of Amps

bobneill
Advanced Member

N Series of Amps

Post by bobneill » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:44 pm

I was corresponding with our leader about the 1022, NSP, NSL, and NSL, Junior, asking for a summary description of their technical differences. He sent the following and told me I could post it. What I hope to do is turn this into something for my website, adding in equally if not more important descriptions of how the various amps differ in sonic personality.

The "N" Family of Blue Circle Amps

NSL. At the time I was designing the NSL, I had been using parallel small signal op-amps for a lot of custom line-level preamps, headphone amps, and input stages of power amps. I always wanted to see what would happen if I paralleled enough of the op amps to enable them to drive speakers. In theory, it would work but as far as I knew, even to this day, the NSL and NSL Jr. are the only two power amps that use this concept.

BC1022. After the NSL, I wanted to make an amp which had the NSLs sound but in a more affordable package. To do that the output stage would need to have a more conventional design. The result was the BC1022.

NSP. After the BC1022, I wondered how much further could I go with its power supply before the amp stopped improving ? The result was the NSP -- with 5.6 Farads (5,600,000uF). What made me stop at 5.6 Farads was the chassis dimensions. I couldn't put any more capacitors into the existing chassis. If I had more space, I could have kept going! As it is, I can hook up a KQ Power Box and double the power supply, if someone wants more.

The NSL Jr. was the result of building an NSL in a smaller package to fit into a more normal dimensioned equipment rack. Also it has half the power supply as the NSL Sr.

So you can actually say NSL Jr. is the little brother of the NSL. BC1022 is the little brother of the NSP.

bobneill
Advanced Member

BC 1022 First Listening Report.

Post by bobneill » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:58 am

BC 1022, first two days at our house...

I

garyj
Advanced Member

Post by garyj » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:05 pm

off subject, but which Rubalcaba? I ask just hooked the bc3000 for the first time since it came back with more power to my 2A3s and was listening to Diz. just a wonderful recording
gary

bobneill
Advanced Member

Solo

Post by bobneill » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:27 pm

garyj
Advanced Member

Post by garyj » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks. Will check it out
gary