PMC Speakers and Blue Circle Audio

DJCOUS

PMC Speakers and Blue Circle Audio

Post by DJCOUS » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi the BC Nation,

I just bought a pair of PMC OB1i Signatures and love them. Simply amazing speakers.

I am running a BC preamp and some other BC goodies. My next purchase will be an amp to replace the Anthem MCA 20 I am currently running.

These speakers are not very efficient as they require a 6 ohm load and are only 87DB.

I have a medium sized room but don t play things very loud.

I was wondering if any of you have had experience with BC amps and PMC speakers and have any suggestions for a BC amp I should narrow in on.

Tube vs. Solid state ?

I was thinking the BC 1022 but not sure if it will have enough horsepower to properly drive these. Seems like the forums usually suggest Bryston 4bst but I would rather try a BC amp.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Derek
CustomBlue Circle PLS, Anthem MCA 20, PMC OB1i Signatures, Rega P5 w/ Dynavector Karat 17d3, Rega Apollo, Mac Book, BC PLC FX2, BC SillyCone 6x, BC X0e, BC USB cable, JPS Super Q speaker cables, JPS Lab Super Conductor 3 XLR & Shunyata Venom 3

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:44 am

Hi DJCOUS,

I used to have a Bryston 4BST, and I have heard the BC1022. For reference, I have a pair of custom BC 200 series monoblocs. My speakers are 87db, as well. I have heard many very expensive amplifiers. The simply fact is that I love the BC1022, and for the price, it is an absolutely outstanding value-- it is a steal. It is just a killer of an amp. The two amps are not even in the same universe. Pair it with your BC preamp, and I am sure you will be smiling and dancing for a long time.

IM

Jo
Advanced Member

Post by Jo » Sun May 04, 2014 12:27 pm

DJCOUS,

Quite some time ago I had the opportunity to try a pair of PMC speakers with my old BC NSCS mkII. I'm not sure but I think they were TB1+ stand mount speakers.

They seemed very very easy for NSCS 110w/8ohms to drive them. PMC are "light" speakers for amps, no?

A very neutral sound. But far from cold or sterile, I must say. Although, also good steps less warm than NSCS with Jean Marie Reynaud Twin Signature, the speakers I had that time.

I would live very happy with a BC/PMC combo.

BUT, considering the sound changes experiences I had after that, trying different cables, starting with interconnects and speaker ones, I tell you to pay attention in this area, avoiding "neutral" goes down to a "boring" sound. Yes, yes, what is a "boring" sound? A matter of taste, maybe.

Cheers,

Jo