Listening to the NSP, first session.

bobneill
Advanced Member

Listening to the NSP, first session.

Post by bobneill » Fri May 02, 2014 11:32 am

First Listening Session with the NSP. Sibelius violin concerto, Bartok solo piano, Purcell music for viols, Scelsi solo violin, Rubalcaba solo piano, Lee Morgan quintet, Mozart sextet with piano. With Tocaro 42's.

What I hear moving from the BC 1022 to the NSP is less of the bass grip & weight and of the subtly beguiling midrange of the 1022 -- less personality, less character. I hear more clarity -- especially timbral detail, more focus, discipline, control, speed, precision; and a quieter background which lets all manner of realistic detail come through. Colors are less deeply saturated than with the 1022 but the breadth of tonal values is considerably greater. The NSP is conspicuously more impressive than the 1022, sometimes spectacularly so. It is more objective sounding than the smaller amp as well, sometimes dramatically realistic.

I can see how listeners could go either way on this. Some may not want to give up the 1022

bobneill
Advanced Member

Second session with the NSP - w/ Reynaud Orf

Post by bobneill » Fri May 02, 2014 5:13 pm

On the Reynauds, the NSP sounds like a significantly different amp. So my earlier notes definitely require this follow-up. Compared with Tocaros, Reynauds tend to soften and thicken the air a bit. As a result, on the Orf

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Fri May 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Some very good commentary on the differences that exist between 1022, and the NSP Bob.
After 3 months with my NSP, I still find it revealing it's charms.. they are many.. and varied. There have been a couple of days where it has sounded "out of sorts", and on those days.. I go do something else, and consider that it is most likely ME that is not on the same page .. :roll:

One thing you DO need to remember with both the 1022, and the NSP is that the power supplies are so massive, that the amps really don't come on song until after a good gassing up overnight. I found that my NSP sounds like it's panties are a bit bunched up on power up.. and it relaxes substantially over the course of a day. The 1022 was similar, in that it seemed a little tightly wound and then opening up its voicing to it's true nature after an overnights powering up.

In any respect both amps are wonderful tools, .. both do amazing things with the SHL5, but the NSP wins out by virtue of it's immense depth of tone in the midrange... something that the SHL5 also is blessed with, the combination becomes heady.. and intoxicating. Chain these 2 champs to the 303DWBB preamp, and Mother of God.. it's just a big "Ohhhhhh !" :shock:

bobneill
Advanced Member

Yes

Post by bobneill » Fri May 02, 2014 8:54 pm

I learned from you about the 1022's needing at least a day in standby before listening and so gave the NSP a full 24 hours. Even then, like a lot of non Class A SS amps, it takes around half an hour to sound right. I am still a bit confuddled that the amp could sound so different on Tocaros and Reynauds. Differences were far from subtle. Chemistry is chemistry. Next report you hear will be from JTN who will get the NSP from me and try it on his new Offrandes. Thanks for your encouragement.

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Sat May 03, 2014 2:05 pm

Yeah... I know I was repeating myself, but felt it was worth adding in conjunction with this thread, and how important it is with this series of amps. :)

Keep us posted on the additional listening sessions Bob.

bobneill
Advanced Member

Third Session with the NSP

Post by bobneill » Tue May 06, 2014 3:37 pm

Over the course of this week, the NSP has grown on me enormously. I attribute most of this experience to finding the right speaker match. I came to realize that the big JMR Orf

bobneill
Advanced Member

Guitars

Post by bobneill » Tue May 06, 2014 4:55 pm

Any of you know the difference between the sound of a Martin and a Guild? I had that demonstrated to me as a much younger man and if memory serves, the 1022 and also the FtTH2 are Martins, the NSP is a Guild.