P.S/.

bobneill
Advanced Member

P.S/.

Post by bobneill » Tue May 06, 2014 4:16 pm

Listening to the latest Daft Punk LP, amazing. Not that there's anything wrong with it!

masluck
Advanced Member

Wow!

Post by masluck » Tue May 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Yo go Bob,

From Dvorak to Daft Punk - that is quite a journey!!! Rock on!!

Mark :D :D

bobneill
Advanced Member

This...

Post by bobneill » Wed May 07, 2014 8:57 am

...was supposed to be part of the thread on the NSP. It was the NSP that brought the Daft Punk album to life. It can do electronic and acoustic music equally well. But yeah, we do rock on a bit here. Having an 18 year old son doesn't hurt...

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed May 07, 2014 1:09 pm

Bob

Your son is 18 years old already? So I was right to tell you to ask your son to help lift the NSP. And therefore, I assume I can build bigger amps and send them to your house for audition as long as you son is not in university, yet. :lol: :) :D

bobneill
Advanced Member

My Son, etc.

Post by bobneill » Wed May 07, 2014 4:39 pm

He leaves for Beloit College in Wisconsin in late August, the funkiest liberal arts college he could find outside New England. He's tired of living inside the northeast (US) bubble, as he calls it. He has a point.

I don't KNOW why the NSP has to weigh so much more than the 1022, but I can HEAR why. I do think that its having been here for a week factors into why it has come to sound so good.

I found years ago that taking a 501ob LOC to an audio show (RMAF) and expecting it to sound good inside of four days was an error. That year, I blamed the fact that my BC/JMR system didn't sound right 'til Sunday on the brand new JMR Offrandes, which distressed Jean Claude Reynaud no end. Turned out it was the 501 and its caps, taking their good old time settling into Denver. The following year I arrived four days early, hooked the 501 up in my hotel room, and read books 'til the show opened on Friday. System sounded great but Jean Claude was back in France and so didn't get to appreciate my effort...

NSP is now playing the Mosaic Miles Silent Way Sessions. It has to leave for Philadelphia soon so JTN can take this audition the next step but I'm dragging my feet. Just a gazillion more LPs and CD's to audition: have to be sure...(=:

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Wed May 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Ahh... and THAT my young Padawan is perhaps the NSP's greatest skill.. it can suck you into eternal hours of listening faster than a Jedi can draw a lightsabre !

bobneill
Advanced Member

Keep the Peace at the Neill House

Post by bobneill » Thu May 08, 2014 12:27 pm

So I am ordering an NSP, no surprise there. That news has really pissed off my BC204KQ (ebony & curly maple faceplate), as you might imagine. If anyone wants to mollify it, let me know.

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Thu May 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Fabulous News Bob ! not so much for the 204KQ .. but .. the future only moves in one direction ! :lol:

Jtnicolosi

Post by Jtnicolosi » Thu May 08, 2014 5:59 pm

That poor little (big) 204KQ, sorry I couldn't help you with that Bob! It's still a fantastic amp, probably will make someone out there very happy. :). Meanwhile, did you send me that NSP yet?

masluck
Advanced Member

Post by masluck » Thu May 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Gents,

I fully understand that time and advancement of the art moves on, but just like the "oh my, the new <KQ, NST, etc. upgrade> really takes this <insert BC 200 series amp here> to another level and I am so very pleased with the result....can it get any better??...yada..yada..yada" missives from 1-2 years ago, we will assuredly see the venerable NSP, NSL, etc. drawn to that same gray corridor of yesterday's news in that same period in the future. I have recently come to this conclusion: that my old " colored", highly modified BC26-NST-LOC will just have to suffice. I fully understand (and appreciate) the current press and enthusiasm regarding GilBut's creations, but sometimes I feel it is at the expense of those "amplification iconoclasts" that readied and progressed his thinking to the current design adventures. Are these amps better? I am being "told" they are, yet my "suit" still fits and my listening experience is still highly fulfilled - go figure, huh.

Mark

Jeddy
Advanced Member

Post by Jeddy » Thu May 08, 2014 10:49 pm

I fully understand the above post.
I too would love to experience the euphoria of the NSP
or the NSL but I am not willing to remorgage my home
to do it. (which I suspect people do)
nor have I any relatives who have died and left me money.

I guess I'm just stuck with one of Gilbert's "lesser" amps.
Oh well....poor old me...

Jtnicolosi

Post by Jtnicolosi » Fri May 09, 2014 4:18 am

Point taken guys but it's not really like that. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that many people would prefer Gilbert's older designs. We're not really talking better or worse, we're talking about a particular sound that I (and I've only heard the BC1022, but it's related) happen to be captivated by, the same must be so for Bob Neill and DD. It's natural that the most current discussion will be on the most current amps, but it's not to imply that your amps are obsoleted.

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Fri May 09, 2014 12:18 pm

Absolutely... there is still not a damn thing wrong with the older series of amps !
I think the key thing to remember, is that NSP, NSL, 1022, et al, are evolutionary in the sound of BC amps, well.. the NSL is a different animal altogether, so.. we'll take that one out of the equation.

Anyhow.. my point here is that I still am a firm believer in finding the "the right amp for the job", and in many cases the 20"X" series suits some listeners biases better. Each of us has our melting point in terms of expectations, and sonic needs.
In my own case the NSP was such a natural fit with the humble SHL5, I was loathe to not take the plunge. Could I have lived with my 206NST.. sure ! but being the glutton for punishment, and audiophool that I am, I decided the time was right to make the move. You have to remember, that I've run my 206 (in various forms) since 2004 ! which for most people is an eternity! So. I have no qualms in making the switch, and no problem justifying the move.
In fact, I think it speaks volumes that since 2002 (holy Crap ! that long already ?? ) I've not been without a BC amp or pre-amp in my main rig.

Jeddy
Advanced Member

Post by Jeddy » Wed May 14, 2014 10:22 am

Well guys...my tongue was "firmly in cheek" with my last comment.
However if I did have the money I would run out and pick myself
up one of those tasty new amps.....