Finally heard some Harbeth's

Clave
Advanced Member

Finally heard some Harbeth's

Post by Clave » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:22 pm

It was an audio salon with unfamiliar electronics and the bit of uneasiness I always feel when surrounded by too much expensive audio gear, but nonetheless I was smitten by the sound of the 30.1's. I can see why some consider them "polite," and I'd say the provide a window into the performance more than bringing the performance into the room, but man, that's some midrange purity for you.
Last edited by Clave on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jo
Advanced Member

Post by Jo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:31 pm

I

larboy

Post by larboy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:34 pm

Your observations about the 30.1 are quite correct. It is simply an amazing speaker that is extremely complete within the parameters in which it operates. I once owned Quad ESL's and this is the closest a box speaker has come to an electrostatic without the pitfalls. Probably one of the nicest integrations of driver/tweeter/crossover that can be had regardless of cost. Provided you set them up properly with decent 24'' stands at ear level at and away from the back wall, its all good. Match them up with any Blue Circle product and nirvana is close at hand. I believe quite a few of our members have Harbeth with their Blue Circle equipment and pretty much feel much the same as myself. I have had my pair for 8 months and I have previously owned P3ESR's and the original HL monitor circa 1978, so like Blue Circle once in, pretty much always in. If you like musicality they are a pretty good bet!

Clave
Advanced Member

Post by Clave » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:05 pm

Larboy,

Unfortunately, apartment living generally restricts me to two feet or less clearance from the wall. Would this be enough for the 30.1, or any of the Harbeth line, in your experience? In the store they were basically in the middle of the room, which no doubt helped with creating the soundstage depth.

Thanks for your thoughts.

larboy

Post by larboy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Clave, it goes something like this....first off, these speakers were designed for small to medium sized rooms. 2 to 3 feet will work fine from the back wall. Try to keep away from the corners if possible. If you can use the width as in the longer wall, even better. As they are stand mounted, you will not get floor bounce which occurs frequently with standmounts. Room treatment goes a long way to solve a lot of issues. These are all basic guidelines that bring out the best in these speakers. Mount on 24'' stands so when your sitting they are at ear level. I use Skylans and they work extremely well. Hope this was helpful.

Clave
Advanced Member

Post by Clave » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Yes, that helps. The layout of most Queens apartments necessitates using a long wall. Corners and side walls are hard to avoid, but bass traps seem to help. My current crib has horrific sonics. Moving soon, hoping against hope for better.

Thanks for your input.

beyond1000
Advanced Member

Post by beyond1000 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:10 pm

Jo wrote:I

ERM
Advanced Member

Harbeth & DAR

Post by ERM » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:42 pm

Larry was kind enough to invite me over for a listen to his HL30.1 being driven by his DAR. As I have the identical DAR, this was a real treat.

I would agree with what is stated above. Sound was open, detailed, very natural without it ever being in your face. Very relaxing and inviting at the same time. The DAR drove it beautifully. We briefly listened at the 12:00 position and that was plenty loud, mostly at the 9:00. Music consisted of both vinyl and cd and included some jazz, blues with a small dose of pop thrown in. Music flowed equally as well with all genders. Just for fun, we ended with my 45 rpm 1986 German pressing of "OH YEAH" by YELLO. Everything got a good work out.

Thanks Larry for the tip on the Sophia tube and a great get together.

I'm planning on getting the P3ESR for the upstairs great-room.