Update on NSP

bobneill
Advanced Member

Update on NSP

Post by bobneill » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:20 am

My new NSP (had a demo here before which is currently charming JTN) has been running for several weeks, driving a pair of JMR Offrande Supreme, V2's. It is now by far the best amp I have ever heard on these speakers, which is saying a lot. A wonderfully natural overall presentation with everything in balance. Clarity without the loss of weight that is often the price we have to pay for it. Nothing is missing. Gilbert has said all along that the NSP is a better BC1022. I had the feeling early on that while better it was also different. Now what I'm hearing is just better. I'm taking this amp to my grave.

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Well Bob, we definitely are in agreement on this one ! :lol: My own NSP has "limbered up" a LOT over the last few months, I think it has finally reached its happy place after 6 months. I think that it has become more open, and bloomier (is that a word ?? ) without sacrificing the snap and vibrancy that make the 1022 so much fun.
Don't be at all surprised if some days it sounds a bit out of sorts, or disjointed... it will only come back better after its hissy fit. :wink: :

What are you running upstream from it these days ?

bobneill
Advanced Member

Upstream

Post by bobneill » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:53 pm

Resolution Audio Cantata one-box CDP. Crimson 710 ss preamp with built-in phono stage.

I need to hear a BC109CP1 one of these days to see if it sounds more in-the family. I doubt there'll be much difference, which is one of the strong points of really good solid state: it agrees on what the truth sounds like. The technologies of the Crimson and BC preamps are clearly different, but who knows? The 109 would just make me feel more like a loyal citizen of the BC universe. I understand it's a descendent of Pinky, which shocked me with its purity several years ago.

Maybe if a BC1022 integrated comes into being, I can run its preamp outs into the NSP. That should tell me something.

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:43 pm

:shock: Ummmm.. you got some sort of spycam going on here ??? :shock: :lol:

I have the 109CP1 here for a return visit to see just exactly what happens when you pair it with the NSP.. and well Mr. Neill, I don't think your "truth vs: beauty" argument ever met 2 such distinctive debaters as the 109CP1 vs the dressed up 303... good God! this is truly a clash of titans.

Let's just leave it that 109CP1 marries up just dunky hory with NSP .. realistically they are largely (electrically) 2 halves of a "whole".. so, yeah, there is no reason they shouldn't play nice together. Sonically, they are nuts to the wall neutral, and if you are looking for some saccharin or other sweetener in your sound, then you probably will want something different..
Cue the lights, part the curtain, and enter the 303.. it brings an ebb and flow to the stage that is still poignant, yet unmistakably NOT the 109CP1.
Despite the abilities of the 303 to mine details, .. and make no mistake it is about as good as the 3XXXX series pre's can get in that regard.. it is NOT the 109CP1.. which will lay it all out in Ansel Adams clarity, and yet still reveal a true picture of the event. Spooky??.. you bet yer tin pants it is !

Now, lest I sound like I'm dissing the venerable 303.. I am not.. it has MANY charms of it's own.. and plays to the heart, rather than the head.
With the NSP it forms a wicked combo as well, rather like a fine French wine.. all full of bouquet and heady aroma, the pallet gets sated on several levels.

So.. is one pre-amp the RIGHT choice with the NSP ?? I really don't know... this one comes back to that age old argument of tubes vs: transistor.. and I'm sure not going into THAT discussion.. each has their merits and foibles.
I think it comes down to partnering gear, and the personal preferences, and musical styles, and what you listen for that will determine whether you find your kicks with a tube pre strapped to an NSP or a competent solid state unit.

I think the BIG thing here is that the NSP plays well in both arenas and is so bang on neutral to handle either bottles or more solid state without going over the edge and still sound silly ass competent.

Raven
Dealer

Post by Raven » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:50 pm

With the new BC107 being built right now we will get to hear the preamp that Gilbert has designed to mate with the BC1022. He's building 2 of them. One will be at RMAF and one at TAVES. Starts with 700,000uF and a jack to upgrade the power supply using the GBC line of power supplies.

I agree with DD. Break in times for the bigger BC gear goes beyond the 400 hours we usually expect. The major weirdness works itself out over the first 3-4 weeks and then more happens later on though it's not top of mind when it happens.