Converting 200 series amps to solid state

Valvefan
Advanced Member

Converting 200 series amps to solid state

Post by Valvefan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi All,

I am thinking about changing the input stage of my BC204 to solid state.

Has anyone done this? What was the result?

Thanks!

bobneill
Advanced Member

Converting BC204 to SS.

Post by bobneill » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:37 pm

I assume that's the NST conversion, yes?

garyj
Advanced Member

Re: Converting 200 series amps to solid state

Post by garyj » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:46 pm

Valvefan wrote:Hi All,

I am thinking about changing the input stage of my BC204 to solid state.

Has anyone done this? What was the result?

Thanks!
Hi. I had my 204 modified so that it has a solid state and a tube input stage. the tube stage is modified so that it uses one tube (which gilbert says is biased higher than what was in the 204 before) and a new solid state input is added. you can choose all of one or the other or mix them. I use it mixed.

i like the flexibility, but i do not change it much and i prefer the mix to all solid state. see the hx thread earlier for more. there also are several threads from people who have had their 206 modified.

gary
gary

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Valvefan,

One of BC's greatest strengths is their willingness to tackle almost any kind of custom project. If you like the sound of their latest solid state amps from the killer valued BC 1022 to their NSP (and, beyond!), and anything in-between, the Custom Shop can most likely do it. They can do much more than just taking out the tubes (NST modification.) They will take the time to help you find the right balance between cost and the level of refinement. And, it will most likely be cheaper than you selling the unit and buying a new one. Most manufacturers don't bother because they'd much rather customers buy new products. BC stands out by taking customer service to a truly exceptional level.

The BC204 is a very fine amp. I also have a 200 series amp. However, after hearing the NSL, NSL Jr., NSP and BC1022, I have fallen very hard for BC's latest solid state sound. You asked about results. If you are talking specifically about the NST modification, there are several threads on the forum by members who have done the change.

The new amps are more than just the NST mod and adding lots of caps-- it's a whole new design. Talk to you dealer about how far you want to go. As it says from the Custom Shop's link: Here, we take on the challenge of creating unique products to satisfy your specific needs. If you can conjure it up, then very likely, we can build it.

Good luck.

IM