Blue Circle products and noisy switching power supplies

derneck

Blue Circle products and noisy switching power supplies

Post by derneck » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 am

Dear Blue Circle experts:

I am the proud owner of a BC FX2 Thingee with 6 outlets, I added an external x0e module after the fact.

So far, I've managed to keep my main system free of equipment using switching power supplies, either internal or wall-warts (heard they introduce nasties into the sonic picture).

I will be adding two new things to the system: Mac Mini as the music server (internal SPS) and Simaudio Mind 180 (wall wart).

I only have one outlet available on the FX2. So what is the best way to mitigate the (potential) effects of the mentioned SPS-powered components? I want to keep my power filtration system all Blue Circle if at all possible.

So...

Plug an extension cord into the unused outlet of the FX2, connect the components to it and the built in filtration will be sufficient? Or....

Plug the new components into a separate wall outlet, add a Silly Cone or something else... what is the best for this purpose out of the various BC offerings?

Thank you in advance!

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:18 am

If I may chime in, consider adding a X0e-2 to the existing FX2 6 outlet. A X0e-2 is a unit with the X0e module and 2 outlets on the back. It can be connected to the last spare outlet of the FX2 and then you will gain two more outlets. You can plug both the Mac mini and the Mind 180 into the X0e-2 so both units will be isolated by the X0e and also filtered by the FX2.

derneck

Post by derneck » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:28 am

Thank you Gilbert.

That was one of the solutions on my list (even though I already have a no-outlet X0e)

but this sentence from the product description indicated to me it might not be the solution I was looking for:

"The X0e module is filter that addresses low frequency
power line noise."

So you say X0e will isolate the devices... meaning the module targets the high frequencies emitting from the SPS as well?

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:26 am

The X0e will isolate the two SPS devices from mainly from the low frequency but also do a little for the higher frequency. If you are looking for a "complete" isolation, the only solution will be building a custom 6X Sillycone filter with X0e built and 2 outlets on the back.

derneck

Post by derneck » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:15 am

Great info straight from the main man, thank you!

I also have the option to plug in the Mac Mini away from the system and run a long Ethernet cord to the Mind 180. In another forum thread you mentioned you're able to build custom linear PSUs to replace wall-warts... if it's an option (to build one for Simaudio), which would you say would be better / more cost effective as compared to the custom Sillycone / X0e filter?

In any case, do I contact you directly, or a dealer, with "special request"?

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:06 pm

If you don't have any powerline conditioner, the answer would be "to get some before doing linear power supply". Since you already have a FX2 with X0e plug in, the answer for your set is do the linear power supply.

If you already are working with a dealer, work with your dealer. If you don't contact us directly and we can refer you to a suitable dealer. One of our dealer also is a Simaudio dealer. He would likely be the best to work with since I will need some info for the Mind 180.

G

derneck

Post by derneck » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Contacted the dealer - Thank you for great service!