BC 107PH -- all solid state preamp with optional phono stage

bobneill
Advanced Member

BC 107PH -- all solid state preamp with optional phono stage

Post by bobneill » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:49 pm

I have put off writing about my new BC 107PH preamplifier for a while because while I was fond of it from the start, I couldn

Clave
Advanced Member

Post by Clave » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Interesting insights as always. I've struggled since I got (accidentally) into high end audio trying to get that balance of information and emotional engagement. The reason I think it's so difficult to get right is because most recordings are flawed. As soon as a microphone and mixing board enter the picture, a good deal of the sound of the voices and instruments is lost, and a lot of extra crud is always, inevitably, added. Highly revealing systems often give us the extra crud without any extra music (which isn't on the tape to begin with) to balance it out. Gilbert's stuff, I think, tends to err on the side of music over information, which is the right way to err, if you have to compromise. The higher end stuff seems to give more information but also more music, hence the awesomeness you report. The phono stages are outstanding, period (and I have a pretty modest FLT IaB).

bobneill
Advanced Member

Update and Suggestion

Post by bobneill » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:12 am

Better every day in subtle increments.

Now someone has got to try it on a BC1022. How would a 107 affect that amp? How different from the O22i? I've only heard the 1022 on a Crimson 710. Whose game?

Julian C
Advanced Member

Post by Julian C » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:33 am

I've been using a 107/1022 for the past several months. A very happy marriage for sure. While I don't have other BC pieces to compare it to now, I think this new generation of SS gear is somewhat of a breakthrough. Previous BC equipment I've had or heard extensively, both SS and especially hybrid, always had (to my ears) a very sight sense of sluggishness/thickness. Almost as if a very thin sheet of gauze enveloped the presentation. While always eminently musical and listenable, and far ahead of most other gear, I always heard it. The 107/1022 family smashes through this thin cloud. Things sound faster, cleaner and purer while retaining all the smoothness and beautiful sense of tone and musicality that, I think, has always been the hallmark of the BC sound.
Solid state designs, especially these, have gotten mighty good. Unless you're fully seduced by the strong and unique flavor of SET amps and high efficiency speakers, I don't see (hear) the argument for tubes anymore.