2K4 Class D Stereo Amplifer, First Hearing

bobneill
Advanced Member

2K4 Class D Stereo Amplifer, First Hearing

Post by bobneill » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:00 am

The sound that characterizes Blue Circle
Last edited by bobneill on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bobneill
Advanced Member

P.S.

Post by bobneill » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm assuming you know this amp is also available in switchable tube input form...for another $1300.

bobneill
Advanced Member

Another Day...

Post by bobneill » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:54 pm

Another day of listening to the 2K4/JMR Orfeos is showing me how addictive the unadulterated musical truth new BC style can be. I switched to a system highly regarded (by me and many others) -- the speakers retail for over $12K) for its beauty and immediately missed the...thoroughness of the 2K4/Orfeo rig. Hearing everything in perfect focus can more than hold its own with 'beauty,' can make mere beauty seem incomplete. Incompleteness is not just the fact that some facts are missing, it is the EXPERIENCE that something essential is absent.

The 2K4/Orfeo rig is not absolutely complete. I like the the suavity of the NSP and the savoriness of the 1022 & O22i. But so far it's got EVERYTHING else; and a sense of AUTHORITY from bottom to top that the others do not have. The 2K4 would make Alan Shaw of Harbeth wet his pants.

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Thats kind of the same way I feel about the CSD integrated. Class D as I've never heard before. I'll be interested to hear you take on the tube version when you get your ears on it.

bobneill
Advanced Member

Another week on the 2K4.

Post by bobneill » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:25 pm

I'm in trouble now because the amp is picking up some suavity and subtlety. Emmanuelle Bertrand's cello (new CD from HM on cello music of Dutilleux) has magic and presence to go with its warmth and weight. The cello has more character than it's had before now.

I'm in trouble because gear is supposed to sound like its price and this one is no longer doing that. Gilbert told me a long while ago that yes, the new 2K amps would sound better than the 200 series. This one does. Does sound better than my 204KQ. How better? Instruments sound more real, more complete. There's more clarity in orchestral passages: I'm getting clarity with the weight of the Orfeos. Which means they've always had it but it hadn't been let out yet!

Help.

Raven
Dealer

Post by Raven » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:52 am

The break in timeline for the 2K series is unlike anything I've experienced but once it's done the end product falls into the 'exceeds expectations' category.

As you mentioned about the Orfeos Bob, the 2K amps certainly bring out the best in speakers that you didn't realize they had in reserve. It's also remarkable how much this design has improved on the 200 series sonically + price + size. After lugging around a 206 and several 204's this past year I am certainly pleased that Gilbert has mastered class D!

My 2K2 has plenty of hours on it now and the latest attribute I noticed is effortless dynamics. I prefer listening to non audiophile music that challenges gear on the best of days and I'm certain I won't easily find a limitation to this amp. Next up is the ELD - BD. Poor neighbours....
Mystic Audio - Please visit us at www.mysticaudio.ca