NSL, Three Days in.

bobneill
Advanced Member

NSL, Three Days in.

Post by bobneill » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:23 pm

The question most of us ask about audio in the end is what do we REALLY want: sweetness? body? weight? room rattling bass ?

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:32 pm

As usual, very well written, Bob.

As I have stated before on the Forum, the first time I heard the NSL Jr. in my system, not only was it by far the best sound I ever heard, but it was *the* sound I was always striving for. While I couldn't imagine anything better, Gilbert said I might like the NSL better (ultra-conservative and polite, as usual.) Not surprisingly, I liked it better. I have not been able to get the NSL sound out of my mind ever since. It's been a couple of years, and I've been to the big rooms at audio shows, and nothing comes close- not even those half a million plus dollar rooms. Considering the crazy prices for ultra high-end amps in today's market place, in relative terms, I honestly believe the NSL is an incredible deal; an actual steal. Whether you are a solid-state person, a tube person or hybrid user, an hour with the NSL and one will think your amplifier, whatever it is, sounds broken. It happened to me and to Micheal Wright of Ultra Audio in his review:

http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.ph ... nt-reviews

The NSL and NSL Jr. are simply spectacular amplifiers.

Qualia-- perfect word to describe the NSL.

bobneill
Advanced Member

qualia

Post by bobneill » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:53 pm

I didn't use it quite right, actually. What I was after was the quality of things (harshness, firmness, thickness, etc.); but what qualia actually means is our private, internal SENSE of the qualities of things...of instrumental timbre,etc. Anyway, you understood me in spite of my clumsiness. The NSL gives us, enables us to sense, the taste, tactility..qualities of instruments and voices. Better than any piece of gear I know of.

masluck
Advanced Member

1 month in?

Post by masluck » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:46 am

Bob,

I find the NSL very intriguing in a lot of ways...any observations near 1 month in that are of merit? Thanks!

Mark

bobneill
Advanced Member

NSL

Post by bobneill » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:36 am

They have settled in and now just sound 'normal'...unless I go back to anything else. Even the NSP, as good as it is, now sounds a bit held in, compromised, when I switch. So the NSL is doing what all great pieces do, spoil you for anything less. One thing I haven't done yet is try it on more demanding (as in need more power) speakers. No need to do that, but I'm curious so will get around to it. I'm speaking of the big JMR Orfeos, which so far have demanded 125-150 watts at a minimum to sound right in the low end.