What fuse? What happened?

mgod

What fuse? What happened?

Post by mgod » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi,

I'm selling a BC3000 for someone, and I hooked it up on Friday. Yesterday I heard a loud click (or sorta quiet pop) first over by the gear, followed immediately by the speakers.

Fuse blew. It's a 1 amp slo-blo. It's gotten very difficult to find fuses in the little village of Los Angeles, so before i order some, I want to be sure it's the correct one. The PS is a BCG 3.1.

It's probably not the only problem (or even causative), but that's the place to start.

Thanks,
Dan

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:04 am

Hi Dan,

The 1 amp fuses are susceptible to blow when you turned the unit on/off frequently.

The same happened to my BC501 / BC109 custom DAC/Pre. a few years back.

Gilbert said to use a 3 or 5 amp fuse ( Can't remember which one) Never had a problem since.

But wait for Gilbert to suggest the proper one for your unit.
Mike

mgod

Post by mgod » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:23 am

Thanks!

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:43 pm

mgod

BlueKnight issue wasn't the same as yours. Please do NOT is any fuse bigger than 1 amp slow blow. Since the preamp make noise before the fuse is blew, it may be the tube(s) or something else.

Buy a couple of 1 amp slow blow fuses. Put one new fuse into the holder. Turn on the preamp WITHOUT hooking up to anything. No power amp, no speaker. Just the preamp and turn it on. Wait a few minutes and see if the new fuse blow or not. If it doesn't, turn it off and then hook up the the system and see what happen.

Thank you for posting this question on our forum. If you post it on anywhere else, I assure you will get crazy answers which may blow up the whole preamp instead of just the fuse. Next time if you have the same issue, please e-mail us at bcircle@bluecircle.com. Forum anywhere is good for discussion general idea but when it comes to techincal stuff especially like repair, please contact the manufacture directly. It is danger to ask the general public what to do because you don't know how much real knowledge those so call experts hide behind their keyboard really know.

BlueKnight did gave you a good answer though. He did say wait for me to come on before doing anything. Thanks Boo Lite.

mgod

Post by mgod » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Thank you. One question though: isn't the noise I heard the noise of the fuse blowing?

mgod

Post by mgod » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:07 pm

What I mean is: a noise the preamp made as the fuse blew?

mgod

Post by mgod » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:06 pm

Well - I found a stash of the right fuse. Put one in, threw the switch... and...

kablooey!

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:51 pm

mgod

To answer your questions, honest and the safest answer is....... don't know. This is why having anyone speculate of repair issue like this is plain danger from the internet. If anyone speculate what that noise is from, there is no guarantee what would happen if the guess is wrong. People who really know usually don't post of public forum. People who has way too much time in their hands post a lot and become the internet expert on all things. I am go on and on and on and offend all kind of people but none of them can say what I have said is has no bases.

Move on.........

If the fuse blow again, it's time to send it in for check up. If you are in the USA, we have a repair depot in Michigan you can send the preamp to.

If you are in Canada, you can send the preamp to us.

mgod

Post by mgod » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:02 pm

OK, I think this is odd. I opened it up, and found that one of the tubes (the rear one) was leaning out of it's socket. No idea how that happened. But as it's not mine, I'm just selling it for someone, I have moved it, so maybe it wasn't snug to begin with.

So I righted it, tried another fuse, and it's still going. I haven't put it in the system to test it. But I notice that as long as power is connected, the lights are on, but dimmer than when it's in operation.

Is that a feature, or is it a sign that something's wrong? I didn't notice it before if it's a feature.

mgod

Post by mgod » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:55 pm

I don't know. I hooked it up, bright flash from the power supply - although it was on for a couple hours just sitting, unconnected - the fuse is blown and...

It still works. Huh?