What the FtTH ?

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:04 am

Thanks Gilbert. As i said in my post, I didn't think, you thought that way. You confirm that.

By the way, i am picking up Rega my headphone amp today at the post office. I heard one locally over the weekend. It meets my needs very well. Many thanks to you and Al. I also listened to the Creek headphone amp SE model (also through another system), but they are very expensive in Denmark and for my ears, the additional cost just wasn't worth the better quality.

If there are any blues fans in your shop, i just received a CD of Black Ace originally recorded in 1960, near the end of his career. He's not well known, but the songs and guitar playing (Hawaiin slide style) are fabulous.

John

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:49 am

Chwder Head et al...

After having a damn good listen to the FtTH this weekend, I am afraid I will have to revise some of my earlier remarks. To be brief, it is still improving (breaking in), and in my opinion has reached a level of performance which surpasses the 21.1/24 combo. The bass has become much firmer and tighter this past few days, and the inner detail resolution has been very surprisingly improved (because it was already pretty good). I will be intersted to see what another week will bring, since it is usually the fourth week which tells the tale.

And a lovely tale it is....

admin
Advanced Member

Post by admin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:44 am

Eso:

Just make sure that four weeks doesn't drag out to five weeks etc....

I'd kind of like to give it a listen myself.

Chowderhead:

Glad you like the Rega. I'm thinking about snapping one up for myself. I'm using a seperate poweramp for occasional headphone use just now and the Rega will let me free up a big chunk of shelf space.

aw

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:11 am

Hi Al, I will do some serious listening this weekend with some decent headphones, but i imagine the Rega takes time to break in. I am having my right ear repaired on the 20th of this month, and it will take about 90 days after the operation to break in the new non-organic part in my right ear. So, it will take some time to get both the Rega Ear and my right ear in sync. I'll let you know. In the meantime, i really think the old Creek OBH-11 (still around, new) and the new OBH-21 amps are better for a little less or more than the Rega. (But they cost a ton in Denmark, compared to the Rega deal i got.)

I read what i could about the EAR on the net in several langauges. Amateur audiophiles say it is low quality. Reviewers say, it's pretty good for the price, and regular people who admit they bought it and post their comments are generally favourable.

It works for me both hooked inbetween the CDP and the CS and inbetween the in/out of the tapeloop. There is also the preamp out option. The speakers can be muted. I think it sounds slightly better playing direct from the CDP output signal. I don't have the preamp out.

The silver finish is a little chintzy, due to the need to keep the price down. Black is invisable.

Thanks again.

admin
Advanced Member

Post by admin » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:10 am

Chead:

The Creeks retail for more than double the Rega in my neck of the woods. Since I just listen to phones occasionally I think the Rega will do for me.

aw

...good luck with your new "non-organic" upgrade :)

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:24 pm

ALW:

Yes, I agree - I think 4 or 5 more weeks would be about right. Good suggestion.

admin
Advanced Member

Post by admin » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:46 pm

Hey! That's not what I said! Er, That's not what I MEANT! I mean .... Give it back!

sniff

aw

louballoo

Post by louballoo » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:44 pm

Hi

This is my first post here and I have 4 questions.

First the question, what type of input selector switch is used ?

Are all BC input selector switches the same ?

Why no bulit in MM phono stage ? (This would be cool)

Can we see some pics of the inside ?

Louballoo

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:59 pm

Louballoo:

Did you not get enough of this back in June about the selector switches?

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 43&start=0

The switches are durable and do not make noise - period. Get over it. As for your other questions:

There is no room inside for a phono stage, and Blue Circle is most likely of the opinion that a phono stage serves a function as a separate component, therefore deserves it's own power supply. Equally as important, there are far more people who are not into vinyl that would want to know why they had to pay for stuff inside that they didn't want.

Incidently, why an MM phono stage?

As for pictures of the inside, if you were a manufacturer, would you be displaying pictures of the guts of your brand new stuff on the net? I wouldn't...

davei
Advanced Member

Post by davei » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:34 am

louballoo,Oct 16 2005, 12:44 PM]Hi

This is my first post here and I have 4 questions.

First the question, what type of input selector switch is used ?

Are all BC input selector switches the same ?

Why no bulit in MM phono stage ? (This would be cool)

Can we see some pics of the inside ?

Louballoo

the one that gilbert thinks sounds best..

btw you are the only person i have ever heard question BC's quality!

refer to above.

how would want a built in phono stage? as eso stated above would need its own power supply! the difference between the bc27 and 27pi is more power supply!

look here.
http://www.bluecircle.com/index.php?menu_id=11

sorry if you are asking question because you do not know any better. but you are the fellow from canuck audio mart, that started that stupid pole......

remember this louballoo ( the voice of audiophiles ) the man you question here, has forgotten more about audio then you could hope to learn in your lifetime!

your the type of audiophile that keeps me away from most forums, you guys would rather be talking about audio equipment, then listening to music!

BTW was not nice to hijack eso thread! even though he is hogging the FtTH...

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:00 pm

Yes, I am the notorious Louballoo !!!! and I do wear a big sombrero ! But wait ! Before you set the dogs on me you should be aware that I come in peace.

I am a huge supporter of Canadian audio equipment, I have three active stereo's at home containing amongst other components Bryston, Classe and Meitner equipment. I just want to be assured that my trust is not misplaced if I make a BC purchase.

The new FtTH would make a nice addition to my collection if it meets my criteria of quality. So instead of giving me a hard time why don't you senior members try and make me a convert ???

Yours Truly

The Voice of the Pragmatic Audiophile

Louballoo

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:32 pm

Lou:

Just how are we to get you off of this incessant rant about Blue Circle quality? It was explained to you in no uncertain terms in BOTH of your posts on Canuck Audio Mart, Blue Circle stuff doesn't break. And - bye the bye - if you are such a staunch supporter of gear, why the continual griping with Blue Circle? They of all the companies you mention choose their component parts for their durability, quality, and their ability to contribute to a high resolution and reproduction of audio signal.

The real genius of the Blue Circle product is the focus on where your money is best spent to produce the best sounding product possible. The parts quality is extremely high, and the assembly work is exemplary. If you lived anywhere near me, I would gladly invite you over to flip selector switches until you developed carpal tunnel syndrome, and you would then realize that the equipment is more durable than you are.

But I am convinced that there is no convincing you of anything. Nowhere in any of your posts do you speak or ask about the sonic merits of the equipment, discuss what other gear it would match well with or compare against, or ask anyone about how satisfied they are with their Blue Circle equipment. You, my friend, go straight off to bashing the quality of components based on some cockamamie story about some preamp you came across in Calgary (it was Calgary wasn't it?). To me, and others in both this forum and Canuck Audio Mart, you look like someone with an agenda. So possibly, before anyone wastes anymore time trying to "convert" you, maybe you should justify why we should need to do so??? If you are truly interested in the equipment, then start asking some reasonably answerable questions, and you will find this forum an enlightening place to spend some time.

Until such time, you might want to consider changing your handle from "Louballo the pragmatic audiophile", to "Louballoo the selector switch vigilante".

By he way, you would do well to consider an FtTH. It's not cheap at over $4.5K US (in the dual shallco version I have), but it is killer. There is a lot of way more expensive equipment out there that will not compare well with this integrated. People will be impressed by this thing for sure...

davei
Advanced Member

Post by davei » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:34 pm

Guest,Oct 18 2005, 05:00 PM]Yes, I am the notorious Louballoo !!!! and I do wear a big sombrero ! But wait ! Before you set the dogs on me you should be aware that I come in peace.

I am a huge supporter of Canadian audio equipment, I have three active stereo's at home containing amongst other components Bryston, Classe and Meitner equipment. I just want to be assured that my trust is not misplaced if I make a BC purchase.

The new FtTH would make a nice addition to my collection if it meets my criteria of quality. So instead of giving me a hard time why don't you senior members try and make me a convert ???

Yours Truly

The Voice of the Pragmatic Audiophile

Louballoo

BTW nice hat.

louballoo

first thing you have to know, that coming here questioning blue circle quality is very insualting to us, the forum members! also to the great people at blue circle who have amazed me in every aspect of customer service! i have never had a problem with my BC gear!

you do know gilbert is in complete control of components used and designs of all equipment, he is blue circle! along with al, and angela. have you ever emailed BC? anytime i ever did responce time at most was 2 hours, on a sunday morning.

the most important thing to remember, are you are just buying a piece of equipment? if so move on you would not get it anyways, blue circle is not status symboyl!

but if you are looking for something to make you listen to all your vinyl and cd's over again, this might be right for you. you know hear them for the frst time!

blue circle is not about marketing, ITS ABOUT MUSIC!

louballoo, if you could get BC to sell you a FtTH, and you did have any problem with it, they would take are of it! no worries!

the best part of blue circle beside the employees, is you get gilbert, every piece of equipment at BC is hand assembled! would be cheaper and be able to make more money slapping on a pcb! but still after all this time its point to point wiring why? it sounds better!

wasted enough time here already! i don't care what they make it with in the end its all about the music!

good luck and happy posting.

Louballoo

Post by Louballoo » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:31 pm

With snarky Guy's like you two around it is no wonder this forum is so boriing !

Your Pal

Louballoo

davei
Advanced Member

Post by davei » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:33 pm

i guess us snarky guys are boring! we spend more time listening to are audio equipment, then taking about it on the net. enjoy yourself happy posting!

BTW anyone know of any entertaining forums? please put a link up for are friend.