BC-208's - The wait is over !

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:15 pm

Well.... since the kitty is out of the suitcase, and the BC-208's have been revealed on the Etcetra page, I was the lucky duck who got to spend Saturday afternoon with the new BC Reference mono-blocks. Largely because Gilbert didn't have a BC-206 handy at the shop to compare them with.... and my 206 was close at hand B)
So, after a bit of warm up (and a good lunch !) we went at the comparison.
Sonically, the 208's build on the strengths established in the "200" series and just push it that much farther along the track. I rather considered the 206 a tough act to follow, but 208 does indeed "breathe" just that much easier still than the already exceptional 206.
Bass control and extension is extraordinary, but also so is the articulation of notes, and resolution of things down low.
Midrange and voice in particular seemed extremely "natural"... not hyped up or "hi-fi-ish" ... nor drowning in syrupy tube bloom.. just "right"... This was one aspect I wish I'd had more time to explore in terms of spinning some more discs and just drinking in what was going on.
Image and soundstaging was superb, at one point I remarked to Gilbert that as good as the 206 is at deploying a credible stage, the mono 208's were whipping a truly real picture of the event.
Top end clarity, detailing, were all there in spades. In fact the 208 seemed indeed just that much purer up top than the already again excellent 206.
So... like them ? oh Hell YEAH ! B)
When I initially heard the 206 a year ago.. It took a whopping 10 minutes for me to decide to order one, I was knocked out by how it just was soo incredibly at ease with music. 18 months later, I am nearly in that same boat yet again after an afternoon with the 208's. :o
The one thing that was remarkable, was that, as decent a speaker as my Logan Ascents are, I had kind of thought I'd pushed them to the limit of what they were capable of, both in terms of resolution, and extension/control and image specificity, and yet the merits of what the 208's do was still readily heard :D Which just goes to prove a point... you can NEVER have an amplifier that's "too good". :P

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:25 am

There are some BC208 pics in the gallery section. Just incase some of you would like to take a look.

Gil But

Nick
Advanced Member

Post by Nick » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:20 pm

Man oh man, they look nice.
And I am sure they sound it too.

I want one..
err...
make that two. :)

Wait, what is that you say, you mean I have to pay for them (grumble, grumble).

Good work.
I wonder what is next?

Cheers,
Nick

bish
Advanced Member

Post by bish » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:13 pm

Congratz on your new amps.

A most impressive looking layout to say the least. Per your account the sound is likewise astounding.

BTW are those power supply filter caps(?) in the center MASSIVE "blue puck caps"? Scarrry --- in a most entertaining sort of way :ph34r:

Cheers - Bradley

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:10 pm

bish wrote:
BTW are those power supply filter caps(?) in the center MASSIVE "blue puck caps"? Scarrry --- in a most entertaining sort of way :ph34r:

Cheers - Bradley
Hi bish

You've got that right. Those blue thingee are power supply caps. :D B)

bish
Advanced Member

Post by bish » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:30 am

Excellent. Lightning fast & friggin' huge... what's not to like :D

'naked' chassis pictures aside - the 2-tone faceplate looks quite classy. :P

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:32 am

bish wrote: 'naked' chassis pictures aside - the 2-tone faceplate looks quite classy. :P
We are trying to offer that two tone faceplate to other models too. That was ebony/dark cherry faceplate.

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:11 pm

Gilbert Y wrote:
We are trying to offer that two tone faceplate to other models too. That was ebony/dark cherry faceplate.
Gilbert...PLEASE offer the two-tone faceplates on the other models!!! And make them available to retrofit on existing models... B)
NY/NJ Metro Blue Circle Dealer
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:48 pm

PhilNYC wrote:
Gilbert Y wrote:
We are trying to offer that two tone faceplate to other models too.  That was ebony/dark cherry faceplate.
Gilbert...PLEASE offer the two-tone faceplates on the other models!!! And make them available to retrofit on existing models... B)
Sure Phil. I can make the two tone Ebony / Dark Cherry available to almost any model of our model. Which model do you have in mind?

I should make clear that those Ebony are Macassa Ebony and not the regular African Ebony. It has some light brown grain pattern to it.

Remember the preamps and other amps like the BC202 and BC204, the pattern will go side way instead of vertical up/down like the BC208.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:50 pm

I do mean available to any or our models. And I can make it retrofit on exisiting model, current or even non-current models.

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:22 am

Gilbert...definitely the 200 series and the BC3/BC3000 preamps....
NY/NJ Metro Blue Circle Dealer
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:31 pm

PhilNYC wrote: Gilbert...definitely the 200 series and the BC3/BC3000 preamps....
The ebony/cherry faceplate is available for the 200 series power amp and BC3/BC3000 preamps. Let me know when you have any requirement.