Sonic Benefits of Shallco Ladder Attenuator

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:24 pm

Please explain to me the "sonic benefits" of the optional Shallco Ladder Attenuator as a volume control for the CS integrated amplifier. And please tell me the cost of these optional benefits.

Things are awfully quiet here lately. Is everyone insanely happy, insanely busy, or just insane?

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:18 pm

Chowder Head

I think last time I checked with someone, he said I was just wacked. Does that count as insane? Or insane is something better tha wacked? <_< :unsure: :blink:

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:33 pm

That kind of depends whether you mean "wacked" as in crazy, unstable, unbalanced, goofy, etc (though not necessarily insane), or "wacked" as in being eliminated by the Mob. Since you are still typing, I assume you mean the first, not the second.

In my opinion, "wacked" is a reasonable assessment, probably (but not certainly) offered by alw...

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:16 am

Someone, please answer my questions.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:23 am

Chowder Head

I answered your second question. The first question is not something I usually answer. Because I am the manufacture, usually people think manufacture is full of chit when they start to talking about benifit of the more expensive stuff. I guess I will have to wait for someone else to give you their less bais opinion. All lite?

Sol E, I can't be of much help beside some techincal fact of using Shallco over the regular volume control.

Gil But

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:19 pm

Thanks, Gilbert. I just sent you an email from home where i am recovering these days.

John

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:59 pm

Someone has pointed ooot to me that how many of us actually compare the Shallco attenuator to the regular volume control side by side in the same model. I guess he is right, beside me, I guess there aren't many other who has done that.

All lite, I will try to tell everyone what I think about the Shallco compare to the regular volume control.

The Shallco attenuator use one resistor in the signal path. No matter which position it is in, there is only one resistor. The result is less variable between the position of the control. Compare to the regular volume control, the signal has to travel farther in order to get to the wiper at a lower position. Therefore, sometime in a cheaper volume control, sound is not so good at low position until the control is being turn up to around 8 O'Clock or higher. Another disadvantage of the regular wiper type volume control is even they are laser trimmed, at the low position below 8 O'Clock or 7 O'Clock, the two channel are usually very mis-match. When I say mis-match, they can be way off between 0.5dB to more than 2 dB at a given position. The Shallco attenuator totally eliminate this mis-match issue. Each resistor is 1% tolence, and it matched within +/- 0.05db between channels.

After all the tech talk, I find the Shallco allow more details to come through. Fuller and tighter bass and also clear presentation. Because it allow more details to come through, if the front end is not up to par, it can easily be heard. I think that's one of the reason some of the very very expensive preamps still using some cheap volume control. They claim it is easier to match components, in fact, the volume control just masked the sound and make everything sound kind of nice and the same. Kind of nice is a good thing in a short term, but in a long term listening, it can get fatigue vert fast. Because everything sound about the same.............. all the time.............get my drift?

I hope I have answered Chowder Head question. I mean the first question this time. :P

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:48 pm

Thank you, Gilbert. I get your drift very clearly. These are all positive improvements.

Jymn

Post by Jymn » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks Gilbert. This is my first experience with Shallco and I could not find a decent description. Now I know.

Clave
Advanced Member

Post by Clave » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Some years ago I had a BC 21.1 with regular volume control, then replaced it with one with Shallco. If aural memory serves, the Shallco smoothed things out noticeably, plus you don't get weird variations in sound quality at different volumes as with pots. In other words . . . what Gilbert said. Plus it adds to the vibe of the thing, like having a manual transmission on your sports car. Not that I've ever owned a sports car.