Cats and Amplifiers

Zero
Advanced Member

Post by Zero » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:36 pm

The weather's turned cold and the cat's found a new place to keep warm: right on top of one of my BC8s. I typically keep my system powered up; I keep shooing her away but she keeps returning. Cute, but I'm not sure it's safe. Any thoughts?

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:39 pm

It's certainly not good for your amps! I remember an incident about a year or two ago when gilbert was telling me about a client who needed a major repair job on his BC8s because of dog hair in the output modules. I can't imagine cat hair being any better.

Do pet stores have some kind of cat repellant? (No, I don't mean pepper spray - though that would certainly do it)

Zero
Advanced Member

Post by Zero » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:54 am

Thanks, esoxhntr. My best strategy is likely just to keep the door to the listening room closed. I'll pull the case and get in there to remove any cat hair. At least she's stayed away from the turntable!

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:11 am

Beside, the cat is a very good isolator and will block all the ventilation of the amp. It can cause it to over heat. :( :ph34r:

GWilson

Post by GWilson » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:01 pm

That amp will probably sound better, as it is is now mass loaded.

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:40 pm

Hmmmm...how big is the cat, what has it been eating, and should there not be a cat on each amp? Very complex....

admin
Advanced Member

Post by admin » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:08 am

Caution...

Do not use a happy cat. Happy cats humm and buzz.

aw

Nick
Advanced Member

Post by Nick » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:24 pm

Put some packing tape, or duct tape, scotch tape etc... sticky side up on the amp.

Cats hate tape or things sticking to them.
They will get frustrated and stop using it.
Just don't block you vents.
The bad part is having to remove the tape afterwards.
They will try and do it themselves. If they can't you might have a fight on your hands. :) :P
A low tack tape like scotch (electrical) might work the best.

The other option for training a cat is a spray bottle with water.
But Big G. at Blue Circle might not want to warranty an amp with water damage of that nature. :)

Cheers,
Nick

Zero
Advanced Member

Post by Zero » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:03 pm

Good suggestions, Nick. All except that spray bottle idea, which would undoubtedly be effective but would likely do away with my listening partner all together :).

Hadn't heard about tape before. Never had cats before this. Seemed to inherit one when I moved in with my girlfriend in June, and have been pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy having the cat around. Kitty loves listening to music with me.

The tape trick may come in handy....

Rick

Post by Rick » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:02 am

Dish of moth balls if you can stand the smell and or a candle that is lit periodically .... in a dish of course. Kittys has BBQ whiskers