Euro BC 606 Music Bar

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:08 pm

Gilbert has made me a 606 Music Bar which goes to an earth ground and which is compatible with danish - or any plug you want - plugs (for the power into the 606) and the standard euro plug (5 sockets on the version have). I also have a BC 61 power cord for my CS (as well as 2 others from Vincent - long story- for other equipment).

Tonight I plugged everything I owned into the power bar and into the CS (CDP, DAC, headphone amp, and tape unit) and then turned the CS volume to 1630.

I heard absolutely nothing. Even when I twiddled the knobs of the other equipment - no snapping (good ground). Same true for ear phone outputs from both the headhone amp and the DAC - dead quiet.

Is that a good sign? Does it prove anything?

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:16 pm

It's a great sign as long as you are sure that your ears and speakers are still working. As for proving anything...well, maybe that Elvis really is dead?

Happy holidays. By the way, are there humungous boxing day sales in Denmark? Are Danes madly running around snapping up butter cookies and Carlsberg beer? Or are y'all far more civilised than us North Americans?

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:41 pm

Eso

I seem to remember Chowder Head mention those butter cookies are for export because the Danes knows they are crap and will make you fat. I suppose Carlsberg beer is the same thing. So they probably won't have any in the country. :P :huh: :lol:

BTW I have got a can of those Danish butter cookies a couple of days ago. I still have to figure oooooot who gave me that. One way or the other, I use to hate those cookies, but I love them now. I don't know why, may be I don't have any taste buds? :( :ph34r: :blink: Since I didn't go to an Christmas party and didn't take any holiday I guess I can't have happy holiday either. Oh well........... Christmas is just another day of work at Boo Sirkol.

Hey, you have any turkey left? If you do, make sure you save the dark meat and don't throw them ooooot. I want dark mean. You can have the white meat.

:rolleyes: B) :) :blink: :unsure: :o ;)

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:15 am

My wife can't hear anything either and the speakers work. Everything is dead quiet. Now the only question is: how much noise was there in the line to begin with? I know there was some. But I don't have test equipment.

Anyway, thanks Gilbert for a fine piece of work.

Boxing day?

Our sales generally begin in late January. Christmas dinner (the evening of 24 December) consists of, at least:
Roast Duck
Roast Pig with the flesh made crisp
Red cabbage
Caramel boiled potatoes
brown sauce
red onion, tomattoes, and cucumber salad
Rice pudding with cherry sauce

No butter cookies!

Now for the 2nd Christmas day, we eat another big meal, but generally not Turkey.

Cold Meats
Various types of smelly herrings
Wild Pig
Meat balls
Boiled potatoes
Brown sauce
etc.....

Carlsberg and Tuborg are both good beers, but we manly sell these in bars and export them and drink cheaper domestic beer at home.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:08 am

Chowder Head

The term "Boxing Day" confused you? As far as I know, there are only 4 countries in the world that actually have Boxing Day. It's one day after Christmas. We crazy Canuck has that day. Just another day off and drink more beer.

Oh, that must be the day for us Canuck get hung over after drinking too much beer on Christmas night. :P :D :lol:

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:24 am

We call that anden juledag, the second christmas day, a holiday - no stores open. The next day is Bytedag - exchange dag!

Yesterday - anden juledag - was also brandedag (burning day) in our apartment building. Here's the story.

It seems that Musical Fidelity makes a power amp that is 2x1000 W at 8 ohms. It also seems that H?rning, a danish speaker mfr., makes a high efficiency 4 ohm speaker, the Pericles, that is like 110 dB efficient and in its most anxious moments may need about 20 W at 2 ohms (5 W at 8 ohms?).

What happens when you hook up a Pericles speaker to a Musical Fidelty kW power amp and then turn the amp on with the volume control set to 12.00 (noon)?

Two things happened and you have to guess them. BC employees are not eligible. The winner gets a box of butter cookies.

I'll give you a hint. It takes a about a milisecond before a fuse blows due to a short circuit in a line. Gilbert, correct me on that if need be.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:01 pm

I will let others guess what happen before I correct anyone. How's that sound?

BTW You are declining my chance to get a box of butter cookies, U R mean! :( :angry: <_<

Lucky, I have already got a can of butter cookies this Christmas.

Oh, almost everything open on Boxing Day. We went shopping and got some big cashew for alw. So he can keep getting bigger and bigger. Anyone want to guess how many days before he cannot resist to open the cashew? :P :D :lol:

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:09 pm

Don't you mean how many minutes? B)

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:16 pm

I can send you either a danish kringle with rasberry filing or a danish coffee cake with an almond paste filling/taste, although it comes from Racine, Wisconsin by Fedex, not from Denmark.

Which do you want...and how many mouths to feed?

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:20 pm

Eso... Minutes? The equipment and/or house fuse will blow very quickly but for a brief instant before this happens there will be a current (or is voltage?)spike.

davei
Advanced Member

Post by davei » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:43 pm

Gilbert Y,Dec 27 2005, 03:01 PM]Oh, almost everything open on Boxing Day. We went shopping and got some big cashew for alw. So he can keep getting bigger and bigger. Anyone want to guess how many days before he cannot resist to open the cashew? :P :D :lol:

John i think this is what Eso was referring to! BTW what did Al do to you guys, to tease him this much? o.k. before lunch.

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:17 pm

CH:

The how many minutes was indeed referring to ALW and the cashews. As for the KW amp, I'm guessing that because of the huge current output, there would have been a rather large spark from the output stage, which may then have come in contact with some carpet, or drapery, or maybe someone left a newspaper sitting near the amp which smoldered a bit and caught fire?

Does KW in this case mean "Kall for Water"?

admin
Advanced Member

Post by admin » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:31 am

Please tell me no innocent cashews were injured in the conflagration.

aw

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:16 am

Get this....This guy is an electrician! How many electricians does it take to.....? First, he turned into molten metal two drivers; then 2 speaker wires; then the cabinet caught fire and he had to put it out with a CO2 fire extinguisher (something every dum electrician needs to keep at home). Some of the heat damage may have taken place before the milisecond in question, but it's amazing what can go on so quickly. He's bragging about this, too, but he won't say what happened to his amp. I'm not sure it survived.