BC501ob as good as lp12 ?

Louballoo

Post by Louballoo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:17 pm

Hello Everyone

I just saw the new BC501ob ! Looks cool, but the write up doesn't have any info on the number of inputs, selections etc ....

Also, has any one heard the unit ??? Is it as good as an LP12 ???

Louballoo

Attilio
Advanced Member

Post by Attilio » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:13 am

I don?t know about an LP12, but to me, the 501ob is at least as musical and non-fatiguing as my Nottingham Spacedeck, Spacearm, DV17mkII.

Attilio

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:04 pm

Attilio wrote: I don?t know about an LP12, but to me, the 501ob is at least as musical and non-fatiguing as my Nottingham Spacedeck, Spacearm, DV17mkII.

Attilio
Nice set up Attilio, I will arrange an audition.

What about inputs ? What kind and how many ?

Louballoo

Attilio
Advanced Member

Post by Attilio » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:01 pm

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:51 am

Whats the price for the BC501ob? :blink:
Looks real nice indeed!

Will it also come in 230v version?

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:31 am

Ben

The retail price for the BC501ob is USD6995.00. Yes, it comes in 230V. As a matter of fact, it comes in anywhere from 100V to 120V, 220V to 240V and anything in between. :)

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:14 am

Thanx for the info. :D
We'll have to put it on the wishlist then :P .

(Running to buy a lottery ticket)
:ph34r:

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:48 am

FYI - I just spent the last day and a half with a BC501ob in my system, and my initial impression is that it is excellent. Clearly a notch or two above the standard BC501, and right up there with my reference DAC (Dodson DA-218). Note that at the moment, I'm running things with the NSCS integrated, so I haven't spent the time listening to things at "reference" level. But taking out the BC501 and putting in the BC501ob and listening to these units "back to back" (giving the BC501ob half a day to warm up), there is no question that the level of sophistication in the presentation is significantly better with the BC501ob.

Relative to the Dodson, they are in the same ballpark, but the character of the presentation is different...the first thoughts that come to mind to describe the Dodson are "liquid" and "analog", whereas the first thoughts on the BC501ob are "holographic" and "incredible clarity". This is NOT to say that the BC501ob is not liquid/analog-sounding, nor is it to say that the Dodson doesn't produce a holographic/clear sound...but those are the characteristics that jump out at you when listening to each.

I'm in the process of getting my BC3 Galatea mkII upgraded to a BC3000mkII GzPZ, so until that arrives in a few weeks, I can't do a real "reference" comparison....but so far, the BC501ob has really impressed me...
NY/NJ Metro Blue Circle Dealer
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com

smiller

Post by smiller » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:53 pm

Phil -

Thanks for the review. Can you elaborate on the words "liquid", "holographic", "analog" and "clarity". These words can tend to have different meanings to different reviewers.

Thanks.

S.

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:25 pm

smiller,

I'll do my best...! Although I know that Gilbert hates when I talk like this... :unsure:

"holographic" is probably the easiest to describe. It points to the sound's imaging capabilities, not just in terms of sounding like a point-source, but in terms of how different instruments seem to "hang in space" With the BC501ob in my system, there's a sense that you could take a step into the soundstage and expect the images to be all around you (obviously this would not really happen)

"clarity" is best described as having a sense that there is no veil or haze over the sound. You could also use "transparency" to describe this.

"liquid" is harder to describe. With the Dodson, music/sound seems to flow effortlessly. I'm not talking about PRAT, but moreso an ease with which the sound has an overall balance that doesn't have any part of the sound that makes you feel it is straining or etching.

"analog" refers to a richness and "roundness" to the sound. Textured, refined, etc.

I'm really itching to get my preamp back and hook this stuff up to my reference gear. Often at this level of gear, what really really seperates the men from the boys is how they do when you really push them...complex/congested music at high volumes. But at this point, I feel that they are in the same ballpark, and personal taste will be the biggest factor in determining which you like better.

One caveat: My Dodson does not have the AES/EBU input option on it (I only recently got a transport with AES/EBU output), but I am using the AES/EBU connection with the BC501ob. Not quite sure how significant this is, although I do know the Dodson is sensitive to transports and SPDIF cables. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get the AES/EBU input installed on the Dodson until May...

Hope this helps...
NY/NJ Metro Blue Circle Dealer
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com