Cheap Ikea/DIY Speaker stand

Post Reply
Chowder_head
Advanced Member
Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:29 pm
Location: Copenhagen

Post by Chowder_head » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:01 am

It's the Pedestal Lak model - a plant stand - 65 cm high. They also have one at 45 cm high for bigger monitors. The legs screw into the top. Not a very good design. You can modify this in a number of ways, the simplest being 4 dowels to run from leg to leg about 3/4 down. I will now try to download a picture of the store model from the catalogue. <hr>Image

Chowder_head
Advanced Member
Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:29 pm
Location: Copenhagen

Post by Chowder_head » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:00 pm

The chief designer and CEO of a UK speaker company just reported that he took his small 12" monitors off the Laks at his home; stood on them and then jumped up and down on them. So, they need no mods. This is the stand of choice on which that company tests its speakers and obviously works at home too. Cost is about &#036;24 each in Denmark, cheaper in the US I'll bet.

User avatar
PhilNYC
Dealer
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:21 pm
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Contact:

Post by PhilNYC » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:49 pm

Chowder_head wrote: The chief designer and CEO of a UK speaker company just reported that he took his small 12" monitors off the Laks at his home; stood on them and then jumped up and down on them. So, they need no mods. This is the stand of choice on which that company tests its speakers and obviously works at home too. Cost is about &#036;24 each in Denmark, cheaper in the US I'll bet.
What they didn't tell you is that the CEO is only 3ft tall and weighs 35lbs... :D :lol:

But yes, I know many people who use the Ikea Lak tables as their equipment stand and it does a very nice job. Even Ken Lyon from Neuance Audio (maker of component shelves) says the Lak tables are a good low-cost solution for stands. But they are better in the US...here, they are imported... :lol:
NY/NJ Metro Blue Circle Dealer
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com

User avatar
Gilbert Y
Advanced Member
Posts: 2567
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 7:14 pm

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:11 pm

Does anyone notices we have been using hotel furnitures at various shows? They are better than most audiophile equipment stand. Most audiophile stand ring like a belt but they shine with gold and silver plus fancy glass on it and they sound like crap.

I agree that Lak stand and a lot of other Ikea stand are good equipment stand.

Oh, put that Time Max clock on it. Get two, one per channel. It would probably make it sound better. :o :huh: :P :D :lol:

User avatar
bjh
Advanced Member
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:13 pm

Post by bjh » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:55 am

Gilbert Y,Feb 15 2006, 11:11 PM wrote:Does anyone notices we have been using hotel furnitures at various shows? They are better than most audiophile equipment stand. Most audiophile stand ring like a belt but they shine with gold and silver plus fancy glass on it and they sound like crap.
Well hate to be snarky, being as I'm a new comer and all, but if ringing like a bell were such a problem why would the designer of some of the finest audio electronics I ever hear stick the damn stuff in stainless steel boxes?

User avatar
Gilbert Y
Advanced Member
Posts: 2567
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 7:14 pm

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:03 am

bjh wrote:
Gilbert Y wrote:Does anyone notices we have been using hotel furnitures at various shows?&nbsp; They are better than most audiophile equipment stand.&nbsp; Most audiophile stand ring like a belt but they shine with gold and silver plus fancy glass on it and they sound like crap.
Well hate to be snarky, being as I'm a new comer and all, but if ringing like a bell were such a problem why would the designer of some of the finest audio electronics I ever hear stick the damn stuff in stainless steel boxes?
Stainless steel boxes. For looks, for safety and for other thing that consumers wants. I much rather put everything in a MDF box with plastic knobs. That's what my personally stuff are all in or just on. But think about it, would anyone buy that?

Beside, we damp the stainless steel boxes to aviod ringing.

All engineering are a compromise. If you require looks more the operation, then go for something that looks good. Nobody can say you are wrong.

What I am saying is if I have something to use such as hotel furniture which are cheap and available. Why would I bring anything that doesn't work as good and cost more.

User avatar
Gilbert Y
Advanced Member
Posts: 2567
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 7:14 pm

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:06 am

Oh, don't forget that's one of the reason I use a lot of silicone because it has a bit of damping action in it too. :)

User avatar
bjh
Advanced Member
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:13 pm

Post by bjh » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:52 am

Gilbert Y,Feb 16 2006, 08:06 AM wrote:Oh, don't forget that's one of the reason I use a lot of silicone because it has a bit of damping action in it too. :)
No doubt! I appreciate the comments in the other post as well, as a matter of fact while the BC3000-II I just acquired has the really cool blue cover I have to admit I've already given serious thought to getting a stainless steel one, I just love the all stainless steel look!

However the red cherry knobs are staying! I do like the look of the stainless ones, but the red cherry are ultra gorgeous, and way more functional ... it's so much easier to see where the knobs are set vs. the stainless ones. Call me superficial but a full stainless steel case with those red cherry knobs ... I can hardly resist!!!! ... What does a stainless steel cover cost anyway?

Now I'm holding of on impressions for a bit (although I can safely say the BC3000-II is so incredibly fantastic that it very nearly defies belief) but I have to say I'm rather surprised how I've taken to the separate volume controls like a duct to water. In fact I had assumed I'd find them a necessary evil but I'll be darned how useful I'm finding the ability to shift the balance; and that this is done in a manner that in no way threatens the integrity of the signal seems to me now so obviously advantageous that I just can't believe that everyone doesn't do it this way!

User avatar
Gilbert Y
Advanced Member
Posts: 2567
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 7:14 pm

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:16 am

bjh wrote: What does a stainless steel cover cost anyway?
bjh

Send me a PM at gilbert@bluecircle.com and let me know where you are. Then I can tell you where is the nearest dealer. They can give you the cost of a stainless steel cover.

I think you already have the stainless steel cover on the power supply, correct?


Chowder_head
Advanced Member
Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:29 pm
Location: Copenhagen

Post by Chowder_head » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:10 pm

Phil...You are importing them from Denmark! They are made of danish beech! Ok, Maybe it's swedish. Mine cost 144 DKK (6.2/USD). What do they cost in the US.

Chief designer - a red haired cottish midget! I'm sure we all know who I am talking about?

God save the knobs!

User avatar
Sugarbrie
Dealer
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:15 pm
Location: Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC

Post by Sugarbrie » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:56 pm

Ikea is from Sweden. I have three stores in my area. ..

I have a bunch of their wood floor standing tower CD racks, and one 10 year old stereo rack now in my home office system.

Should I stock up on the Lak and sell to you guys...

or get a free Lak with every purchase over &#036;3,000 :P :D

User avatar
Gilbert Y
Advanced Member
Posts: 2567
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 7:14 pm

Post by Gilbert Y » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:34 pm

Sugarbrie wrote: or get a free Lak with every purchase over &#036;3,000 :P :D
Man! U cheapskate Sugarbire, give the poor gi the pair instead of just one if he spend &#036;3000.00. :P :D :lol: :) :unsure: :blink: ;) :o :huh:

May be when we do a bookshelf speeed kar, we will include a pair of Lak. What chut dink? ;) :o :P

User avatar
Sugarbrie
Dealer
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:15 pm
Location: Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC

Post by Sugarbrie » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:57 pm

Ok &#036;3,000 Canadian B)

Post Reply