What am I missing?

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:35 pm

CJB - I would caution you that you may want to reserve your opinion on the difference between the BC3000 and the AG3000. I've been through that transition, and when you let the AG settle in, you will not want to go back to the BC3000. Here's how I would compare the two:

Think of the BC3000 as a buxom blonde - always bubbly, always ready for a good time, pleasant personality, but not overly bright. the AG3000 on the other hand, is a sleeker brunette, a little more cerebral, great sense of humour, definitely more exotic - she's takes a little more time and effort, but the "rewards" a worth it ;)

You will probably find that a little more investment in a properly balanced source will reap big rewards.

cjb
Advanced Member

Post by cjb » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:11 pm

Hi esoxhntr

I've been speaking to my signifacant other (lisab) who you met in another thread.

I gave her shit for implying that the AG had performance deficiencies when compared to the BC3000. She promptly pointed out that in my own postings I have slagged the AG.

To clarify.

My opinions of the music experience I am having, post AG, do not necessarily reflect upon it's abilities. For me to make assumptions about it's qualities would require that;

1) it was set up in exactly the same fashion as it's predecessor (BC3000) ie cables, room, power supply etc.
2) it was operating optimally ie balanced - the way it's designer intended

Since neither of those conditions have been met I don't attribute my impressions directly to the AG but to my system as a whole. Note, I went on at length about my crap adapters.

In retrospect, it's easy to see how I may have misrepresented myself.

So for now, here's the deal. Acquire balanced source, experiment with tube rolling, cables etc after that and then I will try to give my "balanced :lol: " impressions of the AG, if anyone would care to hear.

In the meantime. Regarding source; I suppose I could scour the internet, mag reviews etc. for one that may fit the bill but, call me lazy, I enjoy reading your (BC posters) impressions. So does Lisa. Any ideas on a used player for 2-3 K?

As always, your input is greatly appreciated.

chris

PS The AG really does sound good. I think I've just been spoiled! :)

Ho Say
Advanced Member

Post by Ho Say » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:20 pm

I agree with Eso, I have an AG setup and there is a night and day difference with a balanced source. I run my whole system balanced.

I also agree with Phil about using a music ring with amps. Certain music passages can require tremendous spurts of power from the amps. Power conditioners can "choke" the amps and you can loose dynamics as Phil stated. I use a BC84 on each of my amps, as it filters but does not restrict the power.

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:08 pm

esoxhntr,

Goodness, now I'm forced to examine my complete infatuation with my recently acquired ( !!! from Chris !!! )BC3000 MKII.

Hmmmm .... ? OMG, it's mid-life crisis! :o :huh: :( :unsure:

Oh well, I can live with it! B) :rolleyes: B)

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:36 pm

Whoa guys!!!

I'm not trying to be critical of the BC3000 - I had one and loved it, but was seduced by an AG3000. The BC3000 is a sweet pre, and a little less picky about it's playmates. The AG3000 is more capable, but more demanding - it expects to be "kept in the style to which it is accustomed" so to speak.

Also, the BC3000 mk II is a different kettle of fish than the original BC3000, much closer in it's capabilities to the AG3000 than it's predecessor was, and in it's steroidal form (the GzPz), may be the equal of (or more?) than the AG3000. Apparently the AG3KGzPz is yet a whole other ball game, though I have yet to hear it I certainly trust Double D's ears and opinion.

In any case boys, rest easy - any way you slice it you are both well set for preamps.

Shirtnosleeves

Post by Shirtnosleeves » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:33 pm

I am a friend of CJB's, and I think that he forgets a very important point.

Most of the BC3000Mark2 listening sessions were performed in my presence (in fact he abuses me routinely for his neverending purchases). What I can attest to, and I offer this to forum members - only to baseline this experiment, and offer a control element not discussed yet. With any luck this will ad critical insight to this discussion.

CJB's BC 3000 Mark 2 listening session were in fact subjective at best, in that he and I, and this mysterious girlfriend of his - were never once - legally sober, while listening to the BC 3000 Mark 2.

The only way CJB can properly compare the AG, vs the BC - is to re-inact the BC 3000 listening sessions, and invite me over for 3 bottles of red wine, and a few Black Russians to chase.

I will also extend an invitation to any and all forum members - to join in the festivities, as we try to help Chris, enjoy the preamp that most of us, will never be able to afford.

So I suggest we have a benefit party, at Chris and Lisa's place - and help him with his little problem.

Show of hands?

I can bring a salad.

SNS.

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:37 pm

esoxhntr,

Not to worry, I'm just pulling your leg!

And as far as the BC3000 MKII goes I'm a happy man, doesn't bother me a bit that I have !only! the 2nd (3rd?) best preamplifier in the world! :P :huh: :unsure: :blink:

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:44 am

Red wine, Black Russians.....and salad? Ewwww..... :o

:D :lol:
NY/NJ Metro Blue Circle Dealer
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:11 pm

Maybe it's, like, a beer salad? :blink: :blink: :blink:

shirtnosleeves

Post by shirtnosleeves » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:50 pm

Fine see if I ever invite any of you to a party at Chris's again.

:ph34r:

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:10 pm

shirtnosleeves wrote: Fine see if I ever invite any of you to a party at Chris's again.

:ph34r:
C'mon...You love us...

:D B)

And gotta say...I had a Thai beef salad at lunch to day that was awesome...would have gone great with red wine... :D
NY/NJ Metro Blue Circle Dealer
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com