balanced cd player with warmth

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:15 pm

Hi, just curious maybe you could help out?? I am looking to purchase a balanced cdp that will warm up my predominantly BC system. We used to have the BC3000 and when we switched to the AG3000 we seem to have lost some of the warmth and are feeling a little fatigued with the clarity and precision the AG offers. Originally we thought that just removing the adaptors from the single ended Copland and reterminating some Cardas so that they are both balanced and single ended. Makes more sense to buy a good balanced source. So where to start???

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:41 pm

Quick question...do you know what tubes were in the BC3000 and the AG3000?
NY/NJ Metro Blue Circle Dealer
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com

cjb
Advanced Member

Post by cjb » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:18 pm

Hi Phil, the tubes are Sovtek 6922s.

PhilNYC
Dealer

Post by PhilNYC » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:47 pm

You can take a little bit of the edge off by going to the Electro-Harmonix 6922EH. As far as balanced sources go, there are a lot of choices out there...any idea of a budget? And would you consider an outboard DAC? (the BC501 is excellent!) :D
NY/NJ Metro Blue Circle Dealer
Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com

cjb
Advanced Member

Post by cjb » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:40 pm

Hi Phil, the budget is 2-3K can. A dac has been considered, haven't come to a decision yet. However, I defer to my significant other...cjb. I didn't mean to sound like I was in any way "slagging" any BC products. I love them. Just trying to achieve optimal performance. Hope you all understand!

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:02 pm

I don't usually get involve in this kind of post because I rather do my own thing and speak chingalish. However, in this particular case, I would like to say to Chris don't spend 2 - 3 K on source and think/hope you can get the most of the rest of the system. Your probably spend almost as much on cables.

:D :lol:

Since the Copland is single-ended output only. Have you think about installing a balance output inside the player/ Cost a lot less than 2-3k and you can get a real balanced source. Some may disagree this kind of approach is real balance but it is real enough for what it need. I am serious.

Nope, I can't do it for you because I am way too bee see right now but I know someone who can do a pretty good job locally.

bish
Advanced Member

Post by bish » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:17 pm

Sweet idea... (adding the balanced output to the Copland). :)

If you're dead set on a 'warmer' balanced CD player-- I would suggest considering a unit that has a tube output stage.

A current offering that comes to mind in that price range is a demo/used Cary CD303/300. For your criteria I'd suggest using Mullard 12AU7's in the Cary. I've played with this unit at length & this combination of player/tubes is warm yet still relatively well refined. Nice all around unit for the $$.

Cheers - Bish

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:31 pm

Gilbert Y,

Oh gee thanks a lot! I've already got their BC3000 MK II and had my sights on the Copland as well.

Well until Mr. Bright Ideas showed up! Why you ... :angry: <_<

:D :D :D :P :P :D :D :D

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:03 am

bjh wrote: Gilbert Y,

Oh gee thanks a lot! I've already got their BC3000 MK II and had my sights on the Copland as well.

Well until Mr. Bright Ideas showed up! Why you ... :angry: <_<

:D :D :D :P :P :D :D :D
Well U see, that's why I don post on this kind of thread. Never able to please everyone. :rolleyes: :unsure: :blink:

I am going to hide in my corner now. B) :ph34r: :P

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:27 am

Gilbert Y,Mar 3 2006, 07:03 AM wrote:Well U see, that's why I don post on this kind of thread. Never able to please everyone. :rolleyes: :unsure: :blink:

I am going to hide in my corner now. B) :ph34r: :P
OH NO! What have I done. I was just kidding, I don't want that Copland, it sucks (well maybe not that bad, but it has been BALANCED SMEARED, I don't want it now)!

Whoa, good, everyone should feel better now, right?

:unsure: :blink: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)