BC208 Monos - Yikes!!!

esoxhntr
Dealer

BC208 Monos - Yikes!!!

Post by esoxhntr » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:23 am

There's no point in writing a review, since it's been done twice by competent reviewers, but I thought I'd add my two cents from the perspective of a compulsive consumer of music. In this sense I am very fortunate; music is a part of every day of my life. When I am not teaching it, I'm either playing, conducting, arranging, writing, or recording it. When I'm not doing that, I'm helping my son learn the piano or drums, or listening to music. When I'm not doing that I'm eating, sleeping, or ... well you get the idea.

The point is, I am surrounded by music and musical events on a daily basis. This is not a complaint - I have it good and certainly know it. I am lucky to have this unique perspective. So why is this relevent to anyone else?

Simply put, these amps have exhibited the greatest ability I have yet encountered to put me in the middle of a musical experience while sitting on my keester in my basement. Is it like being "there"? No, probably not, though in the case of most recordings (done in a studio) there was never a "there" to begin with. But it does feel a lot like being in the middle of a group of musicians and making music happen.

I'm sure this has to do primarily with the fact that the equipment seems to disappear. The BC208 amps make it easy to forget that there is room full of cables, components and assorted doo-dads ushering electrons to and fro, because the overall presentation is so noise free, transparent, and effortless. They remind me of the rare musicial genius one encounters that can play a huge range of musical styles incredibly well.

Perhaps the highest compliment I can give is that the BC208 monos are turning me into a bit of a music junkie, encouraging me to both listen to another recording, and to grab an instrument and get to work. Honestly, I don't recall a time in my life when I have felt this enthusiastic about music as an avocation.

I am currently trying to get through as much of my vinyl collection as I can before these amps go back to Innerkip, as everytime I play an LP I am reminded why analog - even with it's warts - is still a truly superb format.

Please excuse this somewhat disorganized rant. Simply put, I felt a need to share about how good these amps are. I doubt they can be bettered. Also, I am unwilling to put a ton of time into posting about them because it's time that can be much better spent listening to them, and I intend to use every spare minute doing THAT until they have to go home.

Then I will sulk for an unspecified period of time.