USB HO Attachment Thingee

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

USB HO Attachment Thingee

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:43 pm

Here you are. For all of those who has a regular USB Thingee but want that higher output of the HO version. This is what you have been waiting for. Plug this into the RCA jacks of the USB Thingee and you will get the USB Thingee HO performance. It comes with standard power supply.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17843311@N00/3590024317/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17843311@N00/3590831878/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17843311@N00/3590831446/

Plice is USD165.00.

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

"HO"?

Post by Chowder_head » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:49 am

"HO" as in ho-ho Santa Claus, ho ho as in hostess cup cakes, or "HO" as in "I ain't no HO".

Now, after you tell me what HO means, tell me what the copulating USB thingee does? The HO part. The rest is a USB Dac. That much i know.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:03 am

Ho Ho Ho you horses! How's dat sound?

You know we have a HO version of the USB Thingee. Stand for High Output. It has a 3.5V output using a separate power supply. A real linear power supply NOT one of those plastic over heated under built crappy switching high frequency emitting mass produced using disposable labor unit. Whew! I feel better for the rest of the day. :lol: :) :D

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. The HO version beside it offer a 3.5V output it also headphone amp built in using the same circuit as the Hat Peed Thingee. It can be upgraded to the Biggie Pipe power supply. With 3.5V max. output, it can match well with other line level components in the system.

Now to answer your question. Why are we doing this. For all of those peed pol who already bought the regular USB Thingee, what are they going to do. Trade in the USB Thingee and buy the HO? Sell the USB Thingee and buy a HO? Or do nothing. Most of them probably will do nothing because the two other optional are sometime difficult to do. For those who want the higher output and the headphone amp, but don't want to go through trade or selling process, this attachment is the solution for them. All it does is to covert a regular USB Thingee into a HO version. It is a plug plug plug and play. First plug into the regular USB Thinge, second plug is to the DC power cord, thrid plug is to the wall outlet from the power supply then it's play time.

Hope this answer your questions.

Hostess has a cup cake call Ho Ho? I didn't know that.

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:01 am

Curiosity has me wondering how the HO adapter works.

First let's answer a question ... is the HO adapter a power supply for the Thingee?

Well assuming the Thingee line level output is a fairly standard opAmp arrangement then presumably there is a blocking capacitor on the output side.

Even if there wasn't (no Cout) its still hard to see how any supply voltage provided by the HO adapter (e.g. the "5V" above) could work its way to the voltage rails for the opAmp; if the Thingee line level output is a discrete stage it wouldn't change the situation, it's just easy to picture when assuming an opAmp.

So it seems a safe bet that the HO Adapter *isn't* a power supply for the Thingee.

---

More likely the HO adapter takes the output from the Thingee and amplifies it to a higher output level.

But if that's the case then why the funky connection, why not just have female RCA jacks on the HO adapter and just use a standard RCA interconnect cable to connect the two?

OK there would be the cost of an extra interconnect but it's unlikely anyone would feel the need to use a very expensive interconnect to connect the Thingee to the HO adapter

With female RCA inputs the HO Adapter could also be used as a standalone Headphone amp in many setups (e.g. office system). Bonus!

... and finally with female RCA inputs the HO adapter would fit in with the "Thingee" approach which is modular, not angular! :P

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:54 am

If I do it with a pair of female RCA jack, someone would whine about they have to buy a pair of interconnects. And in this case, you can get a pair of female to female RCA adpator and still use it as headphone amp.

I can do all sort of models but no matter what I do someone will whine about it. Is that why I usually just do what I like for myself and let the thing sell itself, I wonder. :?: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:05 pm

hmmmmmm, if bjh is right abooot there is no DC on the signal line I wonder how those microphone ampy work with 48Vdc phatom power on the signal line? :?:

Nope, I am not saying yes or no right or wrong aboooot what bjh is saying I am saying there is no save bet anywhere unless you actually know what's going on. 8) :) :D

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:32 pm

Gilbert Y wrote:hmmmmmm, if bjh is right abooot there is no DC on the signal line I wonder how those microphone ampy work with 48Vdc phatom power on the signal line? :?:
Those things have a mouse inside (sometimes two) to move the DC around. Everyone knows that.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:59 am

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:49 pm

My HO Attachment Thingee just went back into service.

It has standard female RCA on input, so it can be used with any interconnect.

So...

Internet Radio on Google Chrome
USB Thingee on Computer

About 15 ft cheap thin interconnect that happens to have female to male adapter on the end, that plugs into 12 ft Tributaries Silver cable, to HO Attachment Things, to another long 12 ft Tributaries Silver cable, to cheap HT system.

Sounds better than ever before, I had it written of because FM performance is pretty sad, but this sounds quite good!

Makes me want to get a Anthem AV receiver to plus it into ...

Standard PS on HO A., has a long tail so it runs with the long interconnect to the gear. nice ... but perhaps I should be thinking of going Sonos wireless LOL

In pictures .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/19679286@N ... 05694/[url][/url]