Headphone adapter

garyj
Advanced Member

Headphone adapter

Post by garyj » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:21 am

Hi. There seems to be some interest in the headphone world for using speaker amps for certain headphones, particularly those from HiFiman. This is not really new but seems to be getting more attention because several active members at headfi have been talking about their expereinces. Some use a balanced harness from the speaker taps, while others use an adapter. An adapter is needed for tube amps with that are transformer coupled. Many use the HE adapter,

http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/50/50d8b44c_d7 ... G0387.jpeg

; i do. the concern is that the resistors are not very good quality, nor is the box very secure. This would seem like and ideal thing to put in a pvc pipe, with better resistors or even different resistors for different headphones. Have no idea how commercially viable it is but there seem to be a lot of people in the headphone community who would like to be able to use speaker amps for headphones.

thanks
gary

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:55 am

Gary

I do that all the time in testing for noise from power amp with headphone and sometime listen to music through headphone with a power amp. Transformer output amp need a resistor but transistor amp doesn't. For example, you can connect a headphone even a balanced headphone to a NSL or any other of our amp with true balanced output simply with the correct adpater.

If you are interested on one of this adpater we can certainly make one in the pipe with or without resistor for you. We can even make the resistor switch-able so you can switch it in for transformer coupled tube amp or switch it out for transistor amp.

garyj
Advanced Member

I would be very interested. Will send a pm

Post by garyj » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks
gary

garyj
Advanced Member

Picture

Post by garyj » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:26 pm

In case people want to see how it turned out. Will let you know how it works. Thanks to Gilbert.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17843311@N00/9228500435/
gary

masluck
Advanced Member

Gee - that is what it was!!

Post by masluck » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi Gary,

I was trying to figure out what the heck that thing(ee) was...Now I know...Thanks for sharing!! I am not one for cans, but I learned something in the process.. :? :? :shock: :shock: :D

Mark

Chowder_head
Advanced Member

Post by Chowder_head » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:23 am

Gilbert, Is it possible to do this for a 1/4" plug on the headphone cable?

Jo
Advanced Member

Post by Jo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:28 pm

Gary,

And how the amp/adpator set compares to your headamp? Which headamp were you using?

Thanks,

Cheers,

Jo

garyj
Advanced Member

Post by garyj » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:33 pm

I do not have a headphone amplifier. I had a violetric hpa v200 when started. It was good with the he-500. I upgraded to the he6 and the violetric did not have enough umph, even though it puts out 1.7 watts into 50 ohms. It was pleasant but not all that close to using the adapter with a decent speaker amps. Lots of discussion of the he-6 and speaker amps on headfi, and also now more discussion with other headphones, even some that are failrly efficient.
gary